Action RPG engine - Update: 3d movement

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:21 pm

Message: schueppe can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
Hi guys,

I thought I'd use this opportunity to get some feedback on my current project.
I'm working on an engine for retro-style action RPGs like on the 16 bit consoles - games like Zelda, Secret of Mana, Terranigma, Landstalker etc. So far the engine supports stuff like 8 direction movement (with only four different directions animated, just like in Zelda 3), battling and gaining XP from enemies, turning switches to open gates, pushing boxes for your typical puzzle solving, and loading dialogue from a text file.

Here's some impressions (oh yeah, for graphics I used Seki's template and Fantasy RPG Tileset):

Video: You can also watch a video on Youtube, framerate is a little bit low though due to my screencapturing software.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Njuolka5C8

DEMO: I have now also put up a demo. It's the same as in the video, very short, but might offer a glimpse at how it's working so far. YOu can find it here (note: control with arrow keys and space bar, no touch so far): http://bottled-fun.com/AJRPG/

If you guys got any ideas what would be cool to see in a 16 bit sytle Action RPG, just drop a comment.
Stuff I'm thinking about:
- obviously: different weapons or spells
- Bosses consisting of different sprites with "sweet spots" to hit
- extra items or abilities

The difficult thing, in my oppinion, is to integrate stuff like that while keeping it still lean and flexible. Well, we'll see where it goes.

Regards, schueppe
Last edited by schueppe on Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B
S

Post » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:10 pm

I'm gonna say a build-your-own flexible combo system would be pretty awesome - like the original Xenogears or Majika.

One of the most memorable mechanics for me in Secret of Mana was when you maxed out your magic, it would get a whole new set of animations. Also how each weapon was pretty unique and had their own sets of special moves.
Mistakes were made.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:26 pm

Very cute, remembers to me a couple of years ago, when I was messing around with RPG Maker Xp.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys.

@oosyrag: Hmm, combos or special moves might indeed by interesting. I guess the bottleneck for me and others will be to get the right animations for this (man, now I understand how hard the designers were working in those days), but it's definitely an neat idea. I'm e.g. thinking of the different moves in Enix' Terranigma or Segas Beyond Oasis. Gonna try that.

@HR78: Thx, yeah I hope with the right template this will make creating at least small Action RPGs easy (of course not a gigantic game like SoM ;) )
B
S

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:46 am

A similar template would be another great addon for C2.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Lately I've been playing a game called "Alundra" for the PS1 which has a Z axis and jumping mechanics.
A jumping mechanic would be nice for your engine. It's a lost art.
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:14 pm

looks great! seems like this'll be a pretty versatile system!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:03 pm

@mudmask: Thx, I hope it will be!
@MPPlantOfficial: Hey, I played that game a long time ago, too. It was created by some guys from the team that had worked on Landstalker for Genesis before - I love this game even more. Yeah, jumping mechanics would be cool. I have already been thinking about that but have not come up with a solution so far. I think the Z-axis is tricky, e.g. correctly detecting when the player jumps of a hill or something. But I'll try again to find a solution!
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:12 pm

I had been very recently thinking of reviving an old RPG project me and a friend were making into an action-RPG, so it's nice to see something like this. I was curious if you had a capx available for the work so far or are willing to help someone with eventing in terms of action-RPG mechanics.
Zelda Gamekit (my project)

Example capxs:

Zelda-Style Inventory

Zelda Health

3-saveslot system

[url=https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4396pwak0oh7q6/ZeldaDialogueSystem.capx?dl=0]Zelda-like Dialogue[
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:19 pm

Hi LaDestitute,

well the capx is still work-in-progress and I'd like to work on that further, but if you got any questions regardings specific elements, just ask in this thread or send my a PM - if I can help in any way I'll be glad to do so.

Regards, schueppe
B
S

Next

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests