Action-RPG Gamekit (WIP)

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:39 am

Update on 4/10/2017:
Since this has been asked multiple times, an estimated or expected release would be Q3 this year. However, it may be likely Q4 instead (late fall to early winter), given my own rate of workflow. So, expect a late summer to mid fall release at the soonest, while accounting for my own workflow and delays. Even possibly winter given my increase in procrastination/ADHD. Possibly considering launching this on Steam too, as it will include an editor exe so that endusers do not need Construct 2.

Patreon | Trello (Feature Roadmap) | Gitlab | Issue Tracker (report bugs here)
YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Devlog Blog (NEW!)

Latest news:
*Got the first patron for my Patreon, thank you so much!
*Have begun to clean up code. Done cleaning up the enemy AI for now.
*Dungeon mechanics complete
*Email-invite based closed-alpha now open (just send an email to [email protected] and you can get access to a pre-release exe for all OSes)

This is a gamekit that plays like the oldschool action roleplaying games games, such as the classic 2D Zeldas. A Link to the Past is where most of the influence and design will be but I'm considering implementing gameplay mechanics from the other games, including the 3D ones.

This started on the 22th of February (2016), and progress is coming along incredibly fast. It is quickly reaching the feature-complete milestone, such as basic a-rpg combat, some functioning items, rebindable keys/gamepad support, neat engine tricks (diagonal slope sliding, ledge jumping, bridges with under/over tile-priority), savedata, dungeon mechanics and an inventory system. A full version (capx and all) will be released on the Scirra Store once nearly all of the gameplay mechanics are in and bugfree.

Thanks are below.
Scirra, for this awesome game engine that is so amazingly capable
Nintendo, for the video game series that ahem is...a legend
amiltonbr, for the original base this gamekit is partially based on (although, the capx has been stripped of most of that, save for the 8d movement)
schueppe, advice and discussion with me on how to handle ARPG mechanics in Construct 2
dpyellow, for his old Zelda capx I found (it helped me integrate a few things, namely the pause menu, shooting/passive AI and bombs/bow/boomerang)
R0j0hound, for his sliding against diagonal slopes example
C-7, for an example of ledge jumping and dynamic lighting
bbenny93, for the new replacement dialogue system (no more using a store-bought one, yay!)

Screenshots and videos (five latest videos first):
Full map item (more dungeon mechanics, last video for a while)
Video 7 (unstable build, dungeon mechanics)
Video 6 (latest, build 0.9)
Video 5 (build 0.8)
Video 4 (build 0.7)
Video 1 (very early build, when I first started)
Video 2 (mid-build)
Video 3 (build 0.6)
Dev Livestream
Dev Livestream 2 (old unstable build, 6/9/2016)
Images/GIFs (lots, all the way back to build 0.3 from back in Feb 2016)

Current Features:
*Tilemaps for mapping, with original 16x16 resolution tiles (two tilemaps, one on bottom for mapping, and one on top for setting collision detections for walls, etc)
*Eight directional movement with proper animation
*Variables, gametext, and item configurable gamedata stored in arrays, set predefined by loaded JSON files (planning to replace them with hash-tables)
*Basic pickupable overworld objects (keys, rupees (green, blue, red, purple), hearts, etc)
*Signs, with proper textbox, font, letter by letter text, proper pausing and skipping
*Pushable blocks, they move 16 tiles per push, have animations and sound, and will not move if against an obstacle
*Switches, enough said (trigger on step, can be used to solve puzzles and can be set to deactive if stepped off of)
*Chests, animations and sound, can be locked
*Liftable and throwable objects (pots as example)
*Doorway transition animations
*Zone based camera, restricts a zoomed camera to the current room
*Functioning doorways into other rooms (if on a big map, such as one floor of a dungeon or Hyrule Castle)
*Proper collision detection (solid walls, working stairs in a room, etc)
*Heart Pieces & Heart Containers
*Hearts and magic bar system
*Multiple AIs (standard hostile AI for Green Soldier, neutral AI for Buzzblob, ranged AI for Octorock, and example boss AI!)
*Functional Lamp, Bombs, Boomerang, and Bow (uses a function that different outcomes depending on which object is equipped, so it's unified and self-contained)
*Basic combat (collision detection, sword swinging, etc)
*Inventory system (moving cursor, cursor bounded to menu boundaries, sound effects, flashing cursor, and setting item to active use slot)
*Sliding against diagonal slopes
*Jumping from ledges
*Working bridges that can be passed under/over
*Map-changing (such as going inside of houses)
*Compiled tilemaps like this
*Lighting system (like in A Link to The Past's Hyrule Castle Sewers)
*Proper title/menu screen with save system support that uses LocalStorage, i.e similar to browser cache but is not lost upon clearing cache (also erasing/copying saves)
*Rebindable keys and gamepad support
*Grid movement system accurate to ALttP, which includes smooth movement (see this gif for example) and sub-tile movement (Link just doesn't move 16 by 16, he can also move a max of four pixels if the input pressure is gentle enough)
*Weighted random drops from pots and grass
*Dungeon mechanics (obvious, but example puzzles, floors, map/compass/keys, simple example boss AI etc)

Planned Features (in order of priority from greatest to least):
*Inventory overhaul (second page, spoils bag ala FFXII's loot system)
*Equipable armor/weapons/etc
*Combat overhaul
*Expanding gamedata jsons and eventing to include extra mechanics from other Zelda games such as Fire Arrows, Lens of Truth, and Pictobox)
*Detailed starter/example map
*In game engine edit-mode (not sure if feasible, I have a way but requires extra monetary investment on my part)
*Optional day/night system (can be disabled)
Last edited by LaDestitute on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:57 am, edited 34 times in total.
Zelda Gamekit (my project)

Example capxs:

Zelda-Style Inventory

Zelda Health

3-saveslot system

[url=https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4396pwak0oh7q6/ZeldaDialogueSystem.capx?dl=0]Zelda-like Dialogue[
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:03 am

Neat, looks very promising!

Just like in the good ol' days, glad I'm not the only one loving the retro engines!
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:23 am

Thank you! I managed to fix some issues with my patrolling AI, they used to have issues with properly navigating, at least with tight spaces. As a sort of temp workaround, I'm making sure they have ample room to patrol (might not be possible in certain cases, I'll try to work in pathfinding for such a thing, they already do that if the player crosses line of sight), and even then, running events to check if they collide with a family of objects (say, "Solids") and then if true, force them to immediately reset their current AI state and make another move.

Example capxs:

Zelda-Style Inventory

Zelda Health

3-saveslot system

[url=https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4396pwak0oh7q6/ZeldaDialogueSystem.capx?dl=0]Zelda-like Dialogue[
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:56 am

That looks like something that I could use on one of my dozens of conceived-but-not-started projects :)
My first game, Swingy Angie, available now on
Google Play and Opera Store

Let us honor the desire to work, for it is a movable holiday occuring up to three times a year.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:54 pm

Just polishing the basic game mechanics at the moment, making sure they're as near as close to game behavior in ALTTP. I might make some slight personal design choices though, such as that the cursor in the inventory is free moving instead of locked to available items if >2(can move to empty slots)

Example capxs:

Zelda-Style Inventory

Zelda Health

3-saveslot system

B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:21 am

Nice work so far!
B

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:02 am

New build, a whole lot of new major features, including lifting/throwing pots, sliding along diagonal slopes, properly passing over/under bridges, dropping from ledges, and improved combat.

Example capxs:

Zelda-Style Inventory

Zelda Health

3-saveslot system

B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:18 pm

Really beautiful, I will follow the evolution of your creature!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:47 pm

Wow, Love it! I mentioned before that Kid Ic that I did Mario World 2-2, but in 2012 when I first tried Construct, my first thing was a small locked screen outworld area of Zelda 3 with respawning Octoroks that you faught. Also, just before the Kid Ic, my friend that helped with the advanced wrap behavior was helping with a procedural dungeon creator we were gonna use for a game like Isaac and Zelda, and I used Zelda 1 parts for it. So this is right up my alley. This is so next level though. I love how flexible it looks with the creation tools. Really well polished. I see your tilemap has lots of outworld assets. I wanna see more.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:41 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Only thing bugging me is that I haven't been able to get arpg combat down exactly.

Example capxs:

Zelda-Style Inventory

Zelda Health

3-saveslot system

B
S
G

Next

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests