AdmobAds, how do I show banner with overlap set to no?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
A whole set you need to create a gorgeous winter 2d game
  • Hello World,

I'm using the AdmobAds plugin(the version that comes with C2, but this doesn't matter as I've tried multiple versions, including the last one, and the problem is present in all of em) to display ads in my game. If I set overlap to no in the admob properties(which is how I would really want my final export to be) the banner ad doesn't show, the interstitial still works fine. If I set overlap to yes, then the banner does show but, obviously, it covers up part of my game.

Unless there is something stupidly obvious that I am doing wrong and I'm missing it then I'm guessing this is a bug. I've already contacted cranberrygame about it, but I'm not sure if he's gonna fix it for the version that comes with C2, and even if he does I can't really wait for a fix since I am 1-2 days away from releasing the game.

So could you guys please test and see if you have the same problem, and if you do can you pretty please help me find a workaround so the banner ad will show while overlap is set to no? I've tried different things, but nothing worked, and like I said above this is pretty urgent as I am so close to realeasing my game.

I'm using intelxdk and crosswalk14 to export.

If you need any more info let me know.

Please help! Thank you.

• Bump.

P.S. Yeah, I know, shame on me for bumping so soon. But like I said, I'm desperate, I will be releasing the game very soon....

• Nothing, nobody?

• I'll test it

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • So I made some tests. These are my results so far.

1) Test Setup

• AdMob Overlap = Yes
    • Show banner at bottom

Result:

It works like it should, the banner will be shown on the bottom of the layout.

2) Test Setup

• AdMob Overlap = No
    • Show banner at bottom

Result:

The banner ad is shown in the center of the screen even if it's set to show on the bottom of the Layout. So I guess the layout where the ads are shown is shifted upwards.

3) Test Setup

• AdMob Overlap = Yes
    • Show banner at top

Result:

It works like it should, the banner will be shown on the top of the layout.

4) Test Setup

• AdMob Overlap = No
    • Show banner at top

Result:

The banner isn't visible on the layout, that's maybe is caused by the shifted ads layout.

Android Files

I compiled to version, once with setting overlap to no and once with overlap to yes.

APK Overlap yes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qbymkqjjknuia8/admobdemo2.overlap.yes.apk?dl=0

APK Overlap no: https://www.dropbox.com/s/87edb2x6k4c7voz/admobdemo2.overlap.no.apk?dl=0

Just use the Bottons to switch between top and bottom.

The question now is what this bug is causing. I'm not sure but I guess it isn't Construct 2, but maybe the AdMob plugin. I tried the the plugin developed by cranberrygame (Phonegap, Cordova isn't working at all on my end)

• Awesome work AndreasR thank you very much for figuring out what the problem is. Now do you have any ideas/suggestions/advice/etc. on how I could get it to work properly with overlap set to no?

• Awesome work AndreasR thank you very much for figuring out what the problem is. Now do you have any ideas/suggestions/advice/etc. on how I could get it to work properly with overlap set to no?

At the moment I have no clue how to fix it. I guess cranberrygame will have a look at it when he has time.

• At the moment I have no clue how to fix it. I guess cranberrygame will have a look at it when he has time.

That's assuming that it's even his plugin that has the problem. Truth is we don't know, it could be something C2 messed up, or his plugin, or intelxdk/crosswalk, or maybe even the admob guys changed something on their end.... Anyway, I've contacted cranberrygame on skype and left the link to this topic there for him to check out.

But could you do me a favor please AndreasR, since you've done all this work and you're the one who discovered the problem, could you please submit a bug report so we can get Ashley involved in this too?

There are 2 reason why I tend to lean on the side that this might not be the plugins fault. First of all the version that comes with C2 worked perfectly about a month or 2 ago when I published my last game.

And second of all, I tried multiple versions of the admob plugin this time(the one that comes with C2, a newer one that I had on my hdd, and the latest version downloaded straight from cranberry's site) and they all behave the same. So even if lets say cranberry made some changes that messed things up in the latest version I don't see how that would olso break previous versions of the plugin. Wouldn't it affect just the current and future versions from where the change was made?

P.S. Guess I'm gonna have to release my game with overlap set to yes and looking like crap, covering up parts of the game.... Sigh...

• Good points.

I will create a capx example for Ashley and I will make a bug report coming weekend.

Regards

Andreas

• Great. Thank you very much again for all your help AndreasR .

• Great. Thank you very much again for all your help AndreasR .

You're welcome!

• Same problem here...any solution yet?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)