Adobe Flash Sprite Sheet - All wrong?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:24 pm

Hello CS2 People,

I am making animations in Adobe Flash CS6 and exporting to sprite sheets. Everything is going great until I try to import this to Construct 2. I set my Sprite Sheet to Basic however when I add the PNG to CS2 everything is either cropped or pushed off stage. I understand that Flash exports these with JSON for example which has the position of each image. So, I assume CS2 every frame needs to be exactly positioned in a grid. for example if I load a PNG sequence it works. So I just need to figure out how to take my PNG sequence and then line it up perfectly in one PNG and without having to do this by hand lol.

Thanks,

DrathVader2013-04-29 22:09:51
B
S

Post » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:22 pm

ok, so I exported my PNG sequence which are 108x106 pngs into one stacked PNG sprite sheet with (http://spritesheetpacker.codeplex.com/) which is a handy free sprite sheet packer. Things work now.DrathVader2013-04-29 22:32:05
B
S

Post » Wed May 01, 2013 6:52 pm

Hey @DrathVader. I'm doing the same as you. I do the design in Flash Professional CS6 and after that I export to C2. The same as you, my characters become crop. Then, with Flash, I choose to export as PNG sequence. With C2, I go "edit animations" and "import frames". After all this, I crop all the images and this is nice because reduce the size and mantain the origin point. This works for me, even if it's a longer procedure.
I explain to you all this because I want to ask you something. I hope you know the answer.
Do you know if with the way I do it I use more memory than with your way? I mean, when you import a sprite strip, finally you get the same amount of images in the editor than if you export every image. I'm a little bit confuse with this, because I read in some tutorials that's better to import sprite strips than single images.
Otherwise, I will take a look to your link.
Thanks
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Hello morgandalf, someone correct me if I am wrong. But I think its better to load one image compared to 50+ images. I believe you waste memory loading individual images compared to a sprite sheet. As wel l compress all my PNG's with http://pnggauntlet.com/ In flash you can set your stage to "content" just try to get your PNG sequences as small/tight as possible. I would recommend using a sprite sheet if you have lots of frames. If you only have a few I doubt it would be that big of a deal. I also found that its better to make different sprite sheets for each animation rather than putting all of your animations on one PNG. I read if you dont your pre-loader will not behave properly.
B
S

Return to How do I....?