Adobe set to cease Flash Player plugin development

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:29 am

We've always said Flash is going to die, but it will be a slow painful death. It's got such a gigantic web footprint that wont fade quickly, and also there's a TON of professionals out there whos livelihoods depend on it. They will squeeze it (understandably) for all it's worth. It's hard to say when, but if we try and look 10 years into the future which in terms of technology is a vast amount of time I really can't see any serious new Flash development going on.Tom2011-11-11 01:30:56
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:14 am

How bout animations, Flash is still the master when it comes to that.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:32 pm

[QUOTE=hero_bash] How bout animations, Flash is still the master when it comes to that.[/QUOTE]

As for animations, Flash is still the best hands down - at this time.

The tools for HTML5 are getting better at a much faster rate than when Flash first started out in my opinion and the distribution potential dwarfs that of Flash when it first started.

I believe Flash has its place such as Stage3D on the desktop. For mobile, Flash is way too bloated. However, it is possible to get some simple 3D with HTML5 as well. Here's a link for some experimental 3D.

Again, it's a tool that you can add to your arsenal of dev weapons.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Oh yes, I almost forgot, this news probably matters the most to those developing for mobile. Mobile web usage has outpaced desktop. As well, Windows 8 will have limited support for Flash and possibly other plugins.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic