Ads monetisation object in the near future?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:24 am

[QUOTE=sheepy] Uh, isnt that the reason why plugins exist? Anyway, Im testing with crosswalk now, I should have an answer shortly[/QUOTE]

I am curious how you went testing iframes with Crosswalk? I'm almost at the monetisation stage of my game.
B
S

Post » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:47 am

My only concern about using 3rd party plugins is that major changes to C2 - like the forthcoming introduction of multiplayer - could break them... and Scirra are forthright in not supporting 3rd party add-ons when it comes to bug fixing. Unless I've missed something they are still not permitted on the Arcade, for example.

If a bug is encountered due to a breaking change in C2 then the rectification work is left to the plug-in author, or the community in their absence. I grant that it probably doesn't happen that frequently, but the next few weeks will be interesting for sure. So, for people like me who don't know more than how to spell javascript, that leaves me feeling that Scirra doesn't support the non-code writer more than superficially.

Scirra sell C2 as a platform that gives non-code-writers the ability to make games and I think it's an excellent tool. However, some of of the juicy and very useful game-making functions, like ad support - the ones you want after you've messed around with making a simple platform game for your mates - are not provided at all and are only indirectly supported through the SDK.

I know this thread is about ad support, so I'll limit my diatribe here... C2 is still the best tool out there for amateur / non-coders to make games, but I do wish that ad support would be formally provided.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:04 am

Core features should not be via plugins. It should be default, then the developers would be inclined to leverage it with 3rd party wrappers to get it to work properly.

ie. Flawless in Crosswalk or CocoonJS.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:11 pm

[QUOTE=Silverforce] Core features should not be via plugins. It should be default, then the developers would be inclined to leverage it with 3rd party wrappers to get it to work properly.

ie. Flawless in Crosswalk or CocoonJS.[/QUOTE]

i think the same! thats why i create this post, if we are using a lot of differents plugins to put Ads in our games, why dont put a default object inside C2? to make the creation of a game more easy.

B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:39 pm

Yeah, now that Im trying to monetize my game, I agree with you guys, ads should be native.
Didnt work for me on crosswalk ~_~
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:35 am

And then the C2 developers have to make sure they know everything about every 3rd party wrapper so that their ads would still work in it. It's not that simple. I would love a cross platform ad object, but it is not very realistic since all the 3rd party wrappers can and do change on a regular basis. The reason the 3rd parties are responsible for their own plugins is that they know their API's better than anyone. Assuming that the C2 fellas have full knowledge of how everything in each wrapper works is not realistic. CocoonJS has very tight control on what communications happen from the wrapper to external sources, other platforms have their own requirements.

That is kind of like saying a car manufacturer like ford should be responsible for making sure your car can drive off of cliffs or over fields of razorblades or in the ocean. If they took the time to do all that, the cars would never get made. The whole point of allowing for an open plugin system is that those who know the most about certain platforms or technologies are free to make plugins for them. Instead of relying on those who may not know as much about a specific platform to make plugins that have to always support it in all circumstances.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:03 am

If you want a car analogy, having a functional monetization option such as Ads is as vital as having a functional break.. without it, the car is just not whole.

A game engine made to cater for cross-platform development with a focus on mobiles should therefore, focus to have support for such basics as Ads.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:10 pm

I also agree about Ads should be a built-in function, not as plugin.

Because when we use Ads extension from CocoonJS we can't control Ads placement for each layout specifically, using CocoonJS Ads will be showed from begin to end using same type of ads and same placement and that will give bad experience to players and lower revenue for developers.

If we can control Ads placement at each layout we can provide better user experience such as we can place full page Ads before game start and game exit, banner ads for menu/level selection and in-game layout without ads so player can playing game without distubed by ads and with this ads placement setting also will improve developers income from Ads.
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:15 am

I totally agree, ads are our bread and butter...without them, we're sunk! -
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:18 pm

This right here is what I have been wondering for awhile now... I'm on the verge of having to come back in a few months to see if the ads thing is already implemented... so far I feel cheated of my license money because I was in the impression that the monetization was there - since the free version didn't include it, at least per the sales page in store.

I guess I have to tinker with Unity for the time being and see if I can make some of my ideas true there (including monetization)...

And by the way... the canvas scaling thing should also be a priority, I can't tell enough how retarded it is that you develop and test on your pc with the reso settings set for the phone screen width... and then when you test it on the phone (with cocoonjslauncher) the window size doesn't stick but shows too much...
Also the performance is very poor, literally is more than 7 sprites on screen... laaaaag! WTF? And the sounds were just screwed up... enough for now...
B

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General