Advanced Camera Plugin (Updated: 09/21 - v0.93b)

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:23 am

I meant to have this out back in June(I've been working on this forever), but since nobody knew about this plugin until now, that's okay. :P So, I now introduce to everybody the:

[size=150:26qeuugw]Advanced Camera Plugin - v0.93b[/size:26qeuugw]
[size=125:26qeuugw]Download Now(with example) - 150KB[/size:26qeuugw]

To install, extract the contents of the ZIP file into your Construct folder.

What this plugin does is allows you to have an unlimited amount of named cameras which you can easily switch between, set to follow objects, etc. Here's a list of the main features:

Features:
- Create unlimited, named cameras
- Switch between cameras, either smoothly or instantaneously
- Follow objects with advanced options like lag and offset
- Follow at a point between two objects
- Smoothly transition between different locations, zooms, and angles
- Cubic interpolation used so there are no sudden starts or stops
- Camera shake action with magnitude, duration, dropoff, and smoothness settings
- Easy to setup Mega Man style grid scrolling

The download comes with an example showing off the big features and should give people a good understanding of how to use it, but if you have any other questions, be sure to ask, I'll be glad to help. :)

If you find any bugs, please be sure to mention them and give specific information on what you were doing. Also, if there are any features you'd like to see, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Well, that's it. Download away and be sure to let me know what you think. Enjoy! :)

NOTE: The example is made in .99.5. Sorry for anybody using an earlier version. I wasn't taking this into account when making the example. :P
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:37 am

Really great plugin this.

I have a problem on the last layout (the camera switching one).

I get
[quote:27y620qo]Cannot test conditional expression on non-integer type. Operator had no effect
Event 2
Action 1
[/quote:27y620qo]

I noticed that that event was [quote:27y620qo](AdvancedCamera.CurrentCamera = "Main") ? "Second" : "Main" [/quote:27y620qo]

so changed the [color=#FF0000:27y620qo]? to :[/color:27y620qo] this stops the error but the camera never switches. I then got rid of all that was in the quotes above and used

[quote:27y620qo]On Key Space Pressed - AdvancedCamera:Switch to camera "Second" in 2000m/s[/quote:27y620qo]

This worked perfectly. I'm guessing that the event you used on a second space keypress would change back to the "main" and on a third keypress back to "Second".

I'm still using 0.99.42 here is that the problem with the event you used?

Great work anyway going to use this for sure.

Thanks
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:46 am

Oh, this sounds awesome, I'll give it a try tomorrow!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:26 pm

Sweet! Really practical and usefull plugin. good work! Seems to work fine for me, the only problem is that in the last example (with the two moving objects) the camera seems to be shaking in the transition.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:43 pm

this seems useful.
At first I thought it would be for tilting/changing camera angle etc, lol.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys. :)

[quote="Minor":onppdjai]I'm still using 0.99.42 here is that the problem with the event you used?[/quote:onppdjai]

.99.42 might have had problems with the conditional operator using strings, but I'm not sure. But you are correct in what it should be doing.

[quote="Attan":onppdjai]the only problem is that in the last example (with the two moving objects) the camera seems to be shaking in the transition.[/quote:onppdjai]

Transitions are usually at their best when the object/camera being transitioned to isn't moving. I've been trying to find a way to combat this, so I'll see what I can come up with.

By the way, I'll be putting up a new version later today with a camera shake action, so stay tuned for that. :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:39 pm

hey link
havent tried the plugin yet
but if you have trouble fixing the shaky cam while transitioning between moving targets, i did alot of moving target interpolating stuff with the bone animator. pm me if you get stuck

this sounds awesome though...
could save alot of work, when i start my game
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:02 pm

[quote="lucid":1nqqjvq0]hey link
havent tried the plugin yet
but if you have trouble fixing the shaky cam while transitioning between moving targets, i did alot of moving target interpolating stuff with the bone animator. pm me if you get stuck[/quote:1nqqjvq0]
Thanks. I actually found the problem. No real way to explain it properly unless I took the time to explain how the plugin does things, but to make a long story short, I was checking for a 0 where I should have been checking for a 1. :P

Anyways, new version is up:

[size=150:1nqqjvq0]Advanced Camera Plugin - v0.5b[/size:1nqqjvq0]
[size=125:1nqqjvq0]Download Now(with example) - 135KB[/size:1nqqjvq0]

Additions/Fixes/Changes
ADDITION - Camera shake action added
FIX- Smooth zoom action didn't display correct information in event editor
FIX - Switching smoothly to a camera that is following an object was jerky
CHANGE - Transitions are now smoothed out more

As you can see, the camera shake action has been added. This action gives you options for magnitude, duration, dropoff, and smoothness(heh).

If you downloaded the first version of this, I highly recommend that you download the new one.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:48 pm

really useful! I had to do everything you included in here for epicopter's camera by hand...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:50 pm

Nice, but yeah that layer rotation thing is a bit awkward.
It might make for a nice effect, but it really screws up your direction.
Image Image
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct Classic Discussion