AI Driven adventure game.

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
AI for enemies in style of a well known blue robot guy.
  • I had an idea about making a simple adventure game taking place in a small village. The main feature would be advanced AI in the game. Before i start off I would like to know if anyone have any experience doing advanced AI here and if theres a lot of limitations in Construct 2 that would stop me from finishing the project.

Every NPC in the game would have randomly generated "things to do", and personalities. And daily schedule based on their current inventory and their profession and a lot of other variables. You could mess things up by stealing from them, that would trigger them to start looking for the lost item, alert guards, or something else based on their personality. They could also start steal from others and do a lot of other stuff if the right conditions are met.

How far could u take AI in Construct for characters in a game? Is it only a matter of sorting out the logic behind it?

• I don't expect its harder than any other programming language. What your describing is called "finite state machines", try searching for it on google in relation to games.

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/1139/how-to-simplify-your-ai-code-with-finite-state-machines

• Its really hard.. I'm having only three months of experience in this. Just a starter

• How far could u take AI in Construct for characters in a game?

Is it only a matter of sorting out the logic behind it?

You can take it as far as you are capable of.

Yes.

AI at its simplistic base is a bunch of if-else logic. You can build layers of if-else on top of each other to reach the desired complexity.

• Thanks for the replies. My plan is to make all NPC's randomly generated, with different kind of "stats" to represent their personalties, and their actions and reactions would be based on those. So you could make a lot of checks, if the npc has a cetain stat 'lower' than X while being attacked. > Flee - otherwize fight back. Another stat higher than X while being robbed, > Do this or that.

I guess this will be some trial and error to get the desired results. The game it self also will be based on trial and error to succeed, to learn the traits of the different "personalites" by trial and error to win the game.

Would it make sence to make all those checks global? As every NPC would react... just react differently based on their stats?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for the replies. My plan is to make all NPC's randomly generated, with different kind of "stats" to represent their personalties, and their actions and reactions would be based on those. So you could make a lot of checks, if the npc has a cetain stat 'lower' than X while being attacked. > Flee - otherwize fight back. Another stat higher than X while being robbed, > Do this or that.

I guess this will be some trial and error to get the desired results. The game it self also will be based on trial and error to succeed, to learn the traits of the different "personalites" by trial and error to win the game.

Would it make sence to make all those checks global? As every NPC would react... just react differently based on their stats?

Instance variables work best for what you want. You can randomize each instance variable when an NPC is created so they all differ from each other.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)