AIR vs HTML5

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Destroy planes and be the best pilot of your time!
  • http://esdot.ca/site/2011/mobile-performance-tests-html5-vs-air

Actually, iOS 5 is old, then iOS 6 is better and improved canvas performance

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm confused, what is AIR? A flash alternative for mobile?

• Rory : AIR is flash for mobile. In fact, it's the (extended) Flash VM, as a binary, that work on desktop and mobile. You then write all your game/app in actionscript (flash) in the regular Flash editor, and export it to AIR.

The exporter is going to bundle the VM with your binary, for your desired target.

Edit : in fact, for lots of tasks, Actionscript will beat JS/HTML5, because of access to native features allowed to the VM, that aren't allowed for the Javascript runtime...

• Rory : AIR is flash for mobile. In fact, it's the (extended) Flash VM, as a binary, that work on desktop and mobile. You then write all your game/app in actionscript (flash) in the regular Flash editor, and export it to AIR.

The exporter is going to bundle the VM with your binary, for your desired target.

Edit : in fact, for lots of tasks, Actionscript will beat JS/HTML5, because of access to native features allowed to the VM, that aren't allowed for the Javascript runtime...

Pode

Did you know about Tizen and Firefox OS which use HTML5 as native language?

• Pode

Did you know about Tizen and Firefox OS which use HTML5 as native language?

Yeah, I know about them. The problem is that they don't work on actual platform, and they have a long way to go to provide native features access.

Firefox OS is going to catch on mobile some time in the next few years, but no handset maker is going to have a prominent device with it, in the western world at least. Tizen is a great project, but nobody knows about it.

Flash & AS have 15 years of headstart with various technologies related to VM and code optimization, and native hardware access. Javascript/HTML5 is catching on slowly, but nobody can say "Flash is dead", because business are still relying on it everydays.

• AIR doesn't run on the web. Also, AIR beats canvas 2D by a small enough margin that if the devices in question supported WebGL, I think Construct 2's WebGL renderer would beat AIR as well - on desktop WebGL gets at least double the performance of canvas 2D.

• AIR doesn't run on the web. Also, AIR beats canvas 2D by a small enough margin that if the devices in question supported WebGL, I think Construct 2's WebGL renderer would beat AIR as well - on desktop WebGL gets at least double the performance of canvas 2D.

Yes, on the pure animation side, the gap is closing.

• Why have I not heard of this.

Thanks for the insight ;)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)