Airscape: The Fall of Gravity - OUT NOW!

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:25 pm

It's very sad to hear such bad news:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DanielWe ... n_2015.php

Airscape is held in very high regard by almost every gamedev who uses C2.

It seems you did everything "right", great marketing, lots of showcases at game expos, awards, even some very nice let's play from big name stars.

I don't even know what lessons can be learnt from this.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:34 pm

Silverforce wrote:I don't even know what lessons can be learnt from this.

This was a great read, just stumbled upon it on Gamasutra Twitter! Really sorry about the sales tho.

The markets are very saturated and we need to make crazy good games to really stand out. "Good is not enough" is a brilliant way to put it. Also, I think we need to be prepared for failure and simply push on even after failing.

Not everyone makes it.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:00 pm

robotecollective wrote:This was a great read, just stumbled upon it on Gamasutra Twitter! Really sorry about the sales tho.

The markets are very saturated and we need to make crazy good games to really stand out. "Good is not enough" is a brilliant way to put it. Also, I think we need to be prepared for failure and simply push on even after failing.

Not everyone makes it.

@Aurel
Made a great game, an excellent one, one of the best of that genre, The Next Penelope.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/332250

All positive reviews, I bought it and enjoyed it. But last I heard it was not a commercial success for him as he had hoped.

This is nuts because survival horror clones are making a killing...

I don't understand, is that just want gamers want these days?

I never really thought about all these things, especially marketing, when I think about being a gamedev, its always about making my own dream game, something that I want to play.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:08 pm

Silverforce wrote:I never really thought about all these things, especially marketing, when I think about being a gamedev, its always about making my own dream game, something that I want to play.

That's a great reason to make games in my opinion. Passion for your craft.

I also have several dream projects but I am trying to get better by making several smaller games and little experiments I can finish fast (and I remember you doing the same earlier).

There's no one way to make it, that's for sure.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:25 pm

This is quite unexpected, I have to say! Thanks @squidster for the honest blog and @silverforce for posting the link to it.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:21 pm

I love a good post-mortem but am definitely bummed to see depressing news.

Regardless, this is a must-read.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:56 pm

congrats on release, as for sale numbers, they will grow after your latest pr stunt:) but it's way harder than a few years ago.

In general wise, if the game doesnt hit a certain niche with some uniqueness and gets some traction, it will barely sell on steam, things changed a lot in the last 3 years, these days Steam is not curated, new releases are not anymore on home page, and lots of shovelware to compete with, so its kinda hard. At the same time, even if your game is good, you are in competition with everybody. Most of the indie devs started with platformers, so they are ton out there. Its quite hard these days no matter how "bad/good" is your game.

And since this is your first game, at least i guess with the current team, it did and it will do quite fine. Very few people did well when they launched their first game, beside those lucky to be the first on the first years of indie gold rush on steam.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:00 pm

lwgames wrote:And since this is your first game, at least i guess with the current team, it did and it will do quite fine. Very few people did well when they launched their first game, beside those lucky to be the first on the first years of indie gold rush on steam.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I haven't played Airscape, but just looking at it I can tell there was plenty of polish and talent that went into it. I hope this experience doesn't discourage you completely. 3 and a half years can definitely build up some high expectations, so I can understand the disappointment.

However, a lot of the time, commercial success comes after a lot of failure. I like to point to the fellow who made 5 Nights at Freddy's. He had several games beforehand that were considered flops. He was told that his animalectronic looking characters were too creepy to be any fun in his games. He took that "Failure" and made it into a success. Perhaps look hard at "What went wrong" in the post mortem and use it for your next game?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:49 am

This is too awesome!
Check out my games on Google Play:
BEAST ATTACK (1,000,000+ downloads!)
ZOMBIE BASH (Android) (Launched Feb 17)
ZOMBIE BASH (iOS) (Launched March 17)
B
S
G