All of my edits are gone! [FOUND]

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:59 pm

kbtbc wrote:Do you recommend a versioning system that works well with C2?

This is not meant to be sarcastic, but it's called the Windows File System.

Copy and paste to another folder, HDD, external drive, etc.

I don't trust versioning systems. Just another "DB" that can get corrupted.
B
S

Post » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:59 pm

What specifically was wrong with your autosave file and can you share it? The autosaves should (of course) never be broken but without specific information there is almost no hope of being able to fix any problems there may be. AFAIK for the vast majority of users it's working fine.

More backups are better so if possible also set up alternate backup folders. There should also be auto-backups in addition to auto-saves, so with the right settings you can have six backup levels of your project (the main file, the autosave, the autobackups, and three additional backup folders). With all of that you should never lose work even in a worst-case scenario.

There are lots of reasons files can become corrupt and they're not always Construct 2's fault - for example some "helpful" system tools "clean" your temporary files for you, and promptly nuke all the unsaved project data Construct 2 is holding in temporary files, which can corrupt your project. Failing storage media or buggy storage caches and drivers can also cause problems.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:23 pm

Ashley, thanks -- you had me checking in my folder for more... and good news -- I was able to recover the work!! :) I found a file named, MyProject.capx.capx.autosave which had all my edits!

Here is a snapshot of how my project files ended up:

I don't know why it autosaved to .capx.capx.autosave, but it was the right file.
B
S

Post » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:40 pm

I use bitbucket and sourcetree for my projects now. Super easy to setup and use. Plus...it is free :) (as long as it is for under 5 people, bitbucket is free).
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:28 pm

I enabled autosave and backup (local and one on a onedrive folder) but it did not happen again, so far.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:45 pm

I've done the exact same (except I did Google drive for backup), plus I don't use .capx, and have separated my projects files to a folder that I don't put anything else in to edit. ... and I also setup SVN. No more issues so far here, either.
B
S

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General