Alpha One [devlog]

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:54 pm

DrewMelton wrote:It looks like you are getting a good handle on 3d.

thanks..the existing problem I haven't looked into yet is how to draw damage on the ship... I think I'll most likely make a 1:1 animation of the damage only and place it on top of the ship animated sprite.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:11 pm

Yeah, with everything needing to be pre-rendered, if you want something to look different, the only choices I can think of are to create a separate render of the ship and replace it when needed, or to add something on top of the ship that is programmed to the same angle/rotation and just show/hide it as needed.

Alternatively, you could do like in Doom and have a portrait of the ship that appears on the HUD that looks increasingly more damaged as the ships health goes down. Possibly combined with particle effects on the actual ship for smoke or sparks.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:40 pm

DrewMelton wrote:add something on top of the ship that is programmed to the same angle/rotation and just show/hide it as needed.
yes this is what I was talking about. And if the damage is only on one side I would just use empty frames for when that part of the ship is rotated away from the camera.

DrewMelton wrote:Alternatively, you could do like in Doom and have a portrait of the ship that appears on the HUD that looks increasingly more damaged as the ships health goes down. Possibly combined with particle effects on the actual ship for smoke or sparks.

this could be a smart alternative.. good idea..thanks..
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:34 pm

jobel wrote: Actually its interesting to do it quick and dirty like that because you realize how much the small details don't matter.. so it might help me to keep it like this for a bit (is what I was thinking).

I guess I missed your first response. It seems it got pushed back to page 1 while I was reading page 2. Anyway, here are my thoughts.

One of my favorite quotes:

Antoine de Saint-Exupery: "Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away"

I always evaluate whether or not the details I add are actually helping the design to look the way I want, or if it was better without it.

I think your ships looks good, so if you do add anything, make sure it actually benefits the design. This is sometimes tricky, so give it time.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:03 am

DrewMelton wrote:Antoine de Saint-Exupery: "Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away"

now that is a quote to live by!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:19 am

Dev Update #1

Gamepad Movement Controls

I'm currently testing out a new control movement for turning the player ship. It would be great to get some feedback here on the forums.

Current Turning Movement is:

After watching a bunch of people play Alpha One, they all seem a little confused by the turning movement. Even with the On-Screen help I would end up having to tell them: point the stick LEFT to spin left, or point the stick RIGHT to spin right. However they usually catch on once they get the feel for it (after a few minutes of play).

So because of that I'm playing around with a different Control for the left analog stick.

Please play this little demo and let me know which you prefer. (the Directional one is still a WIP but you get the idea) *use the mouse to select movement type in the top right. And an xbox gamepad is required. Use Chrome!

Thrust (or forward movement) is LEFT TRIGGER

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/362 ... index.html
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:30 am

I'm in the process of making a new demo... just realized the two movement types aren't equal.. the Directional one moves a bit faster and has an ease out built in. So I need to make them equal and then have testers compare the controls.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:59 am

Thanks for all the comments and messages so far.

It was brought to my attention that the two movement types were not equal speeds. This version is better. It is still not perfect as I'm fine tuning the "after touch" and maneuvering thrusters etc... I still want to know what people prefer: spin (left/right movement) or directional (point-in-desired-direction)

*xbox controller required
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/362 ... index.html
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:25 am

Honestly, it's hard to choose a favorite because after trying one for a minute or two, I get used to it and have to adapt to the other one. However, both seemed fine to me.

If it were up to me, I'd say just leave both as an option for players to choose. Then, you won't have to worry about it. Maybe keep it like it is now where you can choose either, but hide it in a menu and put a brief explanation under each. Or if you have buttons left over, maybe make the select button change the controls on the fly. A simple illustration may also suffice for showing the players the difference in the control schemes.

Also, there is something wonky with the demo. When the game starts, it says "spin" and holding a direction makes the ship constantly spin around, but if I click spin, it changes to where holding a direction keeps it in that direction. I'm a bit confused on which is supposed to be spin and which is directional. My expectation based on the words would be that spin should make it constantly spin and directional should lock it in that direction, but maybe my expectations were backwards.

Edit: yeah, there's a bool or variable that's not reading right. If I choose spin or directional first, I get different results. (refresh the game to test). Also, if you click spin more than once, it will cycle between spin and directional. This may confuse players. I would simply add a bool comparison that says "if not spin > on spin clicked > set to spin; else > do nothing" Same for directional. That way, no one will accidentally change it if they double click or something. You could even have a single button that acts as a toggle instead.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:53 pm

@DrewMelton re: those errors.. the game defaults to SPIN.. for simplicity I just Toggle between active Groups when you click the buttons.. so technically they are the same button.. yeah probably confusing..

thanks for trying it out..good to know.. I have had people suggest to give the player the option (to choose) which is what I probably will end up doing.. I myself prefer the 'spin' method where it controls more like a tank. It is hard for people when the ship is pointed upside down.. I think they get disoriented or something and forget that spinning left or right is always the same direction.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests