Alpha One [devlog]

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:31 pm

Ah. Yeah, if they are technically the same button, then I'd probably remove one of them and simply label the remaining button as "toggle controls." Then, they can read spin or directional in big letters above to know which one is active.

Or if you want people to click on separate spin or directional buttons like it is now, then you'll need to make sure the button sets it to what it says. Otherwise, they may end up like me if they accidentally get it set the wrong way.

Either way, at least you won't have to worry about people testing your controls only to find out they used the wrong one or weren't sure which they were using.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:06 pm

No matter what, everyone will have a different opinion on what the controls should be. You are on the right track, creating a couple control schemes and let people choose. I did prefer the spin option myself, but I can understand if that's not everyone's preference. Having struggled with the controls in my own game, I feel your pain of having to redo the controls because everyone has differing opinions. If can be frustrating when you think you have the perfect control method, but nobody else likes it. :P
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:13 pm

DrewMelton wrote:Either way, at least you won't have to worry about people testing your controls only to find out they used the wrong one or weren't sure which they were using.

good point. thanks for the input... yeah not sure I'm doing much more with the demo, it was just a way to gauge people's preferred method.. and I wasn't even sure I can make the same movement type equal since, it's technically a lot different what you are doing in order to achieve the desired rotation.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 pm

ryanrybot wrote:No matter what, everyone will have a different opinion on what the controls should be.

well it's interesting because the controls I default to are things I grew up with.. so when I see people have a hard time with them its confusing. When someone long ago mentioned pointing in direction to rotate to I initially thought that was totally wrong. I also had another person suggest the thrust (forward acceleration) should be mapped to the UP direction (keeping spin L/R), but I never explored it - seemed even more confusing.

I do think people will get used to which ever controls I default to.. although I do think the directional approach is definitely easier... which could impact the game's difficulty.. or hurt the skill learning I was hoping to achieve. Maybe I can call it "classic" controls. Not sure yet.

This is similar to the concept of having "brakes" or an all-stop control which I refuse to put in the game.. because that's a core mechanic -- you must learn to control your ship. It's just what it is.. when I've had people complain it was too hard without a stop button, I don't know what to tell them!
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests