Alternative game logic creation suggestion

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Template for an alternative to falling shapes, fully documented in comments and video
  • Hey Scirra,

I wanted to ask you if you have in plans adding a possibility to write code instead of placing "blocks"? I think it'd a great step and will make many developers happy. Placing "blocks" is okay, but sometimes writing code is more comfortable if we don't have access to mouse(touchpad isn't good for fluent working). I came to Construct 2 from normal programming and I'm more familiar and feel much more good working with code, no logic blocks. Please consider this

• I come from C/C++/Java... and while there are a few weak points it's mostly pretty good. Most of the time there is no need to code at all.

However in rare circumstances. I would love to have the ability to modify a specific action. Place it like normal, but then right click to get access to a custom coded version that I can do. Just to ease up on some of the other heavier lifting.

I like the Event system I guess just mostly in the actions :D

But it's really not needed. You have the option to code anyways with the SDK access to make plugins/behavours and such.

• That feeling does fade as you get used to it. But As Jayderyu said, there are always those moments.

• That's the great thing I love about C2 is its inclusion of a javascript SDK. The event system has saved me a ton of time and makes code organization much easier (I'm a visual person), but when my fingers are itching to code, I'd just go to the SDK and create some custom javascript with C2 and I've to say it does work pretty well! You could really do anything you want - manipulate the DOM within C2 or affect C2 through the DOM, passing logic and variables through externally loaded javascript, adding existing libraries/services support for your project (PubNub, MongoDB), etc.

With that said, there's no reason why you can't code all your logic with the SDK as a plugin/behavior and then hook it up in C2 so that C2 is just responsible for updating the visuals and receiving the input. Though probably not ideal as it defeats the purpose for having the event system in the first place.

I've been starting to use shortcut keys to add events and typing in the object names, conditions and actions, and they do make it feel like I'm coding. At least it's a little faster than clicking with the mouse.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The interesting part of this is that there are hundrets of game engines primaly using code and you ask a coding feature over unique event system based C2

• Miu3

+1

May I also add, this request seems to appear almost every other week (seriously, try search) and the same arguments given.

For the record, I'm completely against the coding part for the reason given by Miu3. This is an extremely good event-driven system that can be enhanced using the SDK, and that's how I'd like it to continue.

• +1

May I also add, this request seems to appear almost every other week (seriously, try search) and the same arguments given.

For the record, I'm completely against the coding part for the reason given by Miu3. This is an extremely good event-driven system that can be enhanced using the SDK, and that's how I'd like it to continue.

zenox98

Also, in the long run, I am pretty sure that allow coding will let the event system go down, since at the ending, people will say "don't use directly the event system, use the coding part instead", and so, the event system will take the risk of not be improved anymore

(I know that some GM user says that you shouldn't use the D&D system, and do entirely in GML, I don't want that to happen in C2, I payed for an engine that always improve, without Us having to do filthy workarounds, because if there is a problem with the event system, it has to be solved at some point, not being left ignored, also, C2 don't do Code before export)

• hi all,

I agree with the original poster as I also use a laptop.

The request was about the user-interface which requires a lot of mouse action. it would be nice to have a way to type in the EXISTING functionality when you don't have a good mouse option. For me, and I think for the original poster, it was not a comment on the engine or its architecture.

For me, a text entry option with autocomplete for the objects and variables would be really nice.

• Keyboard shortcuts as well as auto-completion are already part of C2.

Agreed with Zenox that this request is brought up really often, mostly by new users, who haven't yet explored all the functionalities and ways of C2.

The shortcuts were added in quite a few months ago as a response to the "mouse input" question.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)