Am I doing it right? (Optimized development)

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
You can become a REAL game developer. Learn the basics and get resources that will let you get profits from your game!
  • Hi guys,

I am currently working on a game right now that has lots of levels. What I did was I created a layout that contains all the necessary assets (graphics, characters, objects) needed for the game, I call this layout the "Assets Layout". For every level I create, I just duplicate the Assets Layout and reposition the objects on the screen.

Am I doing it right?

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm afraid that I might end up with a game that has a very big file size (since I duplicate objects for every level)

How are you guys doing your levels? Please share it with me!

Thank you in advance!

Cheers

• If you have a lot of levels I would suggest to just use one single layout and load the levels from file. Of course that would mean that you will have to make a level editor first of all. Which could become a difficult task in itself, depending on how complex your game is going to be.

A good way to store more complex levels (more complex than some single screen game which would be suited for an array) would be to use INI files or rather try the S plugin. I'm actually using a combination of both in one of my current projects.

• Hi PixelRebirth,

Hmmm... A level editor. I had second thoughts on that idea before since I'm clueless on how to make one but I guess that would be best, eh? It might prove useful to me in the long run too.

I need to check out the forums if there are any caps that has level editors.

Thanks Pixel Rebirth!

• Hmmm... A level editor. I had second thoughts on that idea before since I'm clueless on how to make one but I guess that would be best, eh? It might prove useful to me in the long run too.

It doesn't really matter at this point if you know how to do it, the learning experience will be so much worth it!

I need to check out the forums if there are any caps that has level editors.

I noticed that pulowski recently uploaded an example for an array level editor.

http://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8162&start=0

That would be basically the simplest way to go about it, although it might not be feasible depending on what kind of game you're creating. If I'm not totally mistaken lucid also provided an example for his S plugin, but that would be rather offputting to start with. Go from simple to complex.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • [quote:2csws9kh]It doesn't really matter at this point if you know how to do it, the learning experience will be so much worth it!

Yeah, I guess now's the time to start learning, eh?

[quote:2csws9kh]I noticed that pulowski recently uploaded an example for an array level editor.

Great! I'll check that one out!

Thanks, Pixel Rebirth!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)