Am i programmer?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:06 pm

Some my friends asked me what i am doing in my free time, i said i am making a games. And the said ohh so you are programmer.

Well what should i answer if they asked what language i am using. I feel a bit stupid.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:30 pm

You're HTML5+JS expert.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:35 pm

Game designer
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:59 pm

You are using CEPS (Construct 2 Event Programing System) :D

Don't worry, show them some cool games you are making with
and nothing more counts. And even if C2 is not a "real" programming
language, it can be a step on the way to get a programmer, because
it teaches you many basic stuff (like variables, loops, conditions)
and to think about game logic and design.

After you feel comfortable with C2, you can start learning a
programming language like JavaScript or Python, which are
good for beginners, too.
B
S

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:11 pm

thanks Chupup Games, Best answer. :-)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:24 am

It's every bit programming as other languages, but instead of typing raw code you use short cuts via events & conditions.

It requires the same logical thinking IMO.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:35 am

Yes, you are a programmer. A damn smart one if you use a language that gets the same results in a more efficient and faster way.

That's right. If you code in C++ or you code in C2. If the end result is the same game, which language is better? The one that saved you weeks or even months of time programming. There's nothing even remotely negative about using Construct 2.

But that's just my biased experience. I come up with crazy ideas and there is always somehow a way to add them in C2. I'm sure some of you mobile developers will disagree that there's nothing negative about C2. But to any complaints or struggles I can't help but think: would the problem have been any easier to solve in another language from scratch?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:54 am

Your a "Game Developer".

I wouldn't really call this programming, unless you consider it as (very) high level abstraction programming. You need to know some programming concepts but there is a lot of "magic" here.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:34 am

Maybe it's better to describe it as scripting, as you aren't doing the core engine code, but are working with a form of "pseudocode" to manage the game logic/mechanics. So in a way, it's part of programming, but not quite the same as programming in a literal "programming language" or at the engine level.

Game developer works too to say that in a shorter way (they design how the game should play/feel, and often in a team will get an engine programmer who enables them to do that, although programs like UDK, Unity, Source, CryEngine, etc are enabling much more game development without an engine programmer now)
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:39 pm

The term programmer is not definitive as writing lines of text coding. Programming comes in many forms including visual programming such as PLC ladder logic. Unfortunately many programmers tend to think programming as soley the domain of text coding. Which is not the case.

Yes you are a programming and the only language you know is Construct 2 Visual Programming Language or C2ESVPL or I like C2ES.

As others have said though. Game developer would would serve you as a better term when talking about it with most other programmers.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General