Am I the only one troubled with music in game development?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:46 pm

So I'm making a minigame shooter in Construct and so far all is near completion (which is really just coding and graphics) except for one thing... Music! Am I the only one that considers this the biggest hurdle, greater than creating the actual game? Graphics are easy to design and, thanks to Construct, so are the games, but when it comes to sound effects and music tracks, I'm stumped.

When you're creating a game, do you rip music from another? Compose your own? Won't it be illegal to use or modify a licensed music track? So many questions, so few answers...

I don't know about you, but the music stage in game development seems to be the toughest, at least for me... Any advice?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:58 pm

making music or even choosing music is always hard, i mean you can allways load some britney spears or mettalica tune to your game but they can sound a bit odd :wink:

You need to remember what kind of music you're after - obviously for dark and gloomy games you need something that sounds diffrent then for funny colourfull "bunny adventures" game. lol

rip music? you can always rip music (but rip carrefully)
compose? sure. more experience you have better music will be.
licensed track are always trouble - you can try to ask that music track owner if you could use his song in your game (it's free game, non profit etc.)
but what i recomend is to try compose something by yourself - internet if full of free and good music software - and it's not that hard really.
sometimes only few sound in background fit perfectly to game.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:37 pm

If you want to give a shot at composing stuff yourself, you might want to check out this site:

http://www.warbeats.com/Forums/tabid/59 ... fault.aspx

The threads there have video tutorials posted in each one. They helped me a bunch. I didn't have a clue about music theory before watching them and now at least I have a rudimentary understanding.

You should probably watch them in this order: Notes and Tones, Scales, Chords, Melody
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:48 pm

it's good to know some theory but it's not necessary, when you start playing around with drums, piano etc, it will all came to you sooner or later :)
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:27 pm

Didn't expect anyone to have replied yet. Thanks for the answers shinkan!

I'll be sure to check out that link in the morning, deadeye (though I really should be concentrating on beginning year 12...).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:48 pm

you can try Rebirth for begining - gives you an idea how sequencer and drum-machines work
it' very easy soft and fun to use. - i spend many many night's using it few years ago
(until they reallesed Reason)

http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/ - heh they givin' it for free now.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:26 pm

If you never played any instrrument it might be hard to compose something decent. No knowladge is above expirience.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Music is tough, sound effects are not so tough. Try The Freesound Project.

Actually come to think of it, at the Freesound Project homepage they link to ccMixterwhich is a database of CC liscensed music. I guess music is not as hard as I thought.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:44 pm

music is annoying at times, but it shouldnt be too hard to make your own, it seems complex but you can start making decent songs after a few hours of practice. you dont really even need real good music, you can just use a few synths playing together in a simple song.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:30 am

[quote:36jkxo4f]Music is tough, sound effects are not so tough[/quote:36jkxo4f]

it' depends what you after, you can always download samples for sound effects, but if you need speciffic sound sometimes you need to make it by your own.
I remember doing some lightning effect where i used about 15 diffrent tracks, too many effects and processors...as i remember i took me about 4 hours to make 4 seconds sound :)
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic