amazing graphics breakthrough

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Thu May 27, 2010 8:03 am

Seems promising, I just hope they can get somewhere with it.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 27, 2010 9:18 am

i hope this is not hoax because it will be a boon for people like me who have low end systems
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 27, 2010 9:21 am

[quote="Candescence":1qpptfxk]Well, I can't blame you guys for the skepticism. However...

You wanted an animation? You got it.[/quote:1qpptfxk]
I don't buy it still, a video could have been rendered over an hour. Better to see it running on your own machine at 30fps interactively to prove it. But still, as others have pointed out, it's plausible and has been done before and everything, it's just nowhere near as flexible as traditional 3D engines yet.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 27, 2010 12:42 pm

[quote="6Fix":d6ifron1]Until I see that "engine" running online with 20+ players all firing shots at each other, I don't trust it. They have no physics, characters or traditional effects (other than some flickering shadows and lighting).

I prefer the Id Software approach. Taking the technologies we use today and making them more efficient.[/quote:d6ifron1]

My brother saw this video and he said all graphic cards one day have to end one day to be replaced with this engine and whatever may come in the future, this engine could be the future of next-gen 3D gaming engine and the reason it has no physics and anything is because it is a prototype, this engine may bring a new meaning to 3D, now I don't know if I am correct on what I said above tough but from what I understood from it that is what I gathered, I do look forward for this and it is nowhere close to be used for a game right now.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 27, 2010 1:27 pm

I wish computer hardware wasn't so awful, then we wouldn't have to worry as much about these things.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 27, 2010 1:41 pm

[quote="LavaWave":ytlgxhuo]
My brother saw this video and he said all graphic cards one day have to end one day to be replaced with this engine and whatever may come in the future, this engine could be the future of next-gen 3D gaming engine[/quote:ytlgxhuo]

If graphics cards have to "end" one day, it won't be this engine replacing it. It will be something else that has yet to be created. Not to mention, by that time we will have enough polygon performance that the difference would be difficult to notice anyways. Also, CPU manufacturers will get better at creating chips that serve as both your main processor and graphics chip.

Polygons are not going anywhere anytime soon.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 27, 2010 2:05 pm

True but as we know it, day by day technology is improving fast :mrgreen: 20 years from now who knows how the 3D graphics will be like, there is already Crysis to begin with, this engine will be a new feature for the world of 3D, granted it will not completely replace the current 3D that uses graphic cards but it will be a huge improvement to what we have now. :D
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 27, 2010 2:42 pm

[quote="6Fix":sc1sfes7][quote="LavaWave":sc1sfes7]
My brother saw this video and he said all graphic cards one day have to end one day to be replaced with this engine and whatever may come in the future, this engine could be the future of next-gen 3D gaming engine[/quote:sc1sfes7]

If graphics cards have to "end" one day, it won't be this engine replacing it. It will be something else that has yet to be created. Not to mention, by that time we will have enough polygon performance that the difference would be difficult to notice anyways. Also, CPU manufacturers will get better at creating chips that serve as both your main processor and graphics chip.

Polygons are not going anywhere anytime soon.[/quote:sc1sfes7]
I understand doubting, but you're stating all this as fact as if you're from the future. Yhou don't know what will come of this, or how how long it will take to come, if at all.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 27, 2010 3:02 pm

*sigh*

I am not stating it as fact. However, it is the MUCH more likely outcome. Even you should be able to recognize that. This is not transition from 2D to 3D, it's a transition from 3D to alternative 3D. It's just not as needed.

If you believe even for a moment that this engine right here is the NEAR future ... wrong business for you.

And just for some added perspective, I run my own business now and have worked with major publishers in the past, including a production venture with Electronic Arts on Playstation 2.

Nobody in the industry I have ever spoken with believes polygons are going anywhere for the next 10-20 years at the least. Voxels and the like serve much better as a supplemental feature as opposed to the entire solution.

EDIT: I just want to add that of course I could be wrong, because again I am not trying to state this stuff as fact. I personally believe that the next 10+ years lies in technologies like Tessellation and (unfortunately) 3D displays ...
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 27, 2010 4:58 pm

I think some people are confused about physics vs. 3D renderers - they're two separate things. You can mix and match any renderer and physics engine, the physics handles the logical world (which is just number crunching), and the 3D renderer just draws that to the screen. Unless there's something special about this new renderer I don't know about.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic