An idea of a competition ...

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:56 pm

I made a Facebook page, Please like : Here
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:33 pm

I really enjoy participating in game jams, and as I said in my previous post, I'd almost definitely participate if Scirra were to run it, but I'll probably pass on this based on how it's is shaping up. There are 2 main reasons why.

Game Limitations
I think the drawbacks far outweigh the benefits of limiting the events and layers. I understand that this is meant to even the playing field so that participants with a paid C2 license don't have an advantage, but is severely limits the complexity of a game. Also, I'm guessing it will pigeonhole participants into using behaviors. For example, with a 100 event limit, you could make a decent platformer because there are behaviors that replace having to use events, but you'd have a hard time creating a point and click adventure game, or really any game that doesn't have corresponding behaviors that do a lot of the work for you.

The Judging
I'm not a fan of the entries being judged by a handful of arbitrarily selected people. I don't mean this to be a jab at you or the judges you select, but with so few judges, the results will be weighted towards their personal preference as to what constitutes a "good" game. I think letting the participants rate the submissions is a far better idea.

I'm hoping that Scirra puts together a C2 game jam at some point. I'm sure they come up with a very well thought-out method to running the event. A lot of the submission and voting could probably be handled through the sexy new arcade. I'm guessing there would be a good number of participants, especially if they made a blog post and/or pinned topic in the forum.

That's my 2 cents anyway. Best of luck running the event, and to all the participants. I look forward to seeing the end results!

zatyka2013-09-19 17:09:23
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:50 pm

@zatyka Well .. If the all the participants have license I'll remove the limitations (Which i prefer).. It's not a decision yet.

Judging ... Not a final decision yet .. It's either me and Patrick and 3 other good Construct users, or let the participants vote .. That's why i made the other topic .. I'll add way of judging to it.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:24 pm

Hm I could imagine that each month or halve year, depending on its popularity there could be a small game making contest. You should make a special page to promote it big, not just a simple forum post. I could imagine a brand type of video also explaining the basics of the contest.
Something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwEbp_55R8M
The winner gets eather in text or video a review of the game and perhaps 3 times winners could get a license. One importand limit id suggest is that atleast 10 participate in the contest.
This could help feature more games made in construct2
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks for the good comment @Miu3 I'll probably think of that.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:29 pm

@zatyka and others .. Game limitations will be REMOVED if the voting was successful in the question "Do you have a license" If most of the people voted "Yes" All limitations will be removed same for the judging.
Take a moment and vote here (Min. 10 votes before starting JAM) : HERE
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:51 pm

I'm not a huge fan of limits also. If people have the free version and want to compete, awesome. Don't limit those of us that do have the full version. I mean, does it mean I can't use families either, since those are not in the free version?

B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:43 pm

Well .. It's up to the voting on the Jam's page.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:18 am

how about making a temporally license that acts like full license but has a deadline till the end of the contest? That could also attract interest for ppl to check out the contest and try out limited features. This all offcorse depends on if @Ashley can do it.
I could imagine that this type of license allows exporting only files for the contest or has a logo on the game.

Also for the voting part where its:
Voting method :
-Participants judge the submitted game
-Judges judge the submitted game

I would be for judges but be aware of many unpleasing responds of those who wont like the resultMiu32013-09-20 02:26:32
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:48 pm

@Miu3 Well .. Still depends on Ashley (May have a watermark)...
Well .. I guess people will choose "-Participants judge the submitted game."
But anyway it's up to the voters.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General