an (isometric&low poly) Tower Defense game

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:19 am

Hi,
today i started working on an isometric tower defense game, using the lovely assets by Kenney.
Didnt got much yet, only a map, some enemy walking the path and making sure everything has the wright z-order. Isometric game design is totally new to me and i had a hard time figuring everything out with this damn z-order and where to place the tiles :D
but anyway, you can see what i got here: http://fldr.de/tower3
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:28 am

I'm about to start a tower defense too, but no isometric view. Didn't have much time though :P
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:56 am

It looks like you got it working. So far so good. :)

What elements of the isometric game logic gave you the most trouble?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:40 am

Looks Nice! Cool style, can't wait to see what this will look like when finished.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:05 pm

MVG wrote:It looks like you got it working. So far so good. :)

its the z-order thats troubling me, mostly the details like trees, they rely on the z-order of the ground tile they are on but thats not always wright with towers and people.
For example the tree and tower in the left corner arent wright, i had to move the tower to the same layer as the ground (normally people and towers are one layer above).
This problem could be solved if i had the details seperated from the ground i think.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:06 pm

tunepunk wrote:Looks Nice! Cool style, can't wait to see what this will look like when finished.

Thanks!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:25 pm

fldr wrote:

its the z-order thats troubling me, mostly the details like trees, they rely on the z-order of the ground tile they are on but thats not always wright with towers and people.
For example the tree and tower in the left corner arent wright, i had to move the tower to the same layer as the ground (normally people and towers are one layer above).
This problem could be solved if i had the details seperated from the ground i think.

I had some trouble with that too, but got it working quite good.

Example and capx in this old thread.
https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=97677&p=756014#p756014
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:13 pm

tunepunk wrote:
fldr wrote:

I had some trouble with that too, but got it working quite good.

Example and capx in this old thread.
https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=97677&p=756014#p756014

Thank you! will have a look at that thread, turned out ive got some more z-order problems you can see here:
how-do-i-z-order-of-same-object-type_t126473

edit: ok, now i took a look at your solution. It works really good, but i fear it might come to problems when there are more then one sprite around a building, because of the objects changing layers? or am i wrong? sorry if i misunderstood what you did there, its late now and my brain is quite twisted from the hours of testing z order stuff ^^
will look at it again tomorrow and see if i can also use this solution. i really didnt see any glitches and also the performance seems to be good (i just made something with function calling that went up to full cpu usage^^)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:28 pm

Nope no problems what i've seen so far. As long as you seperate the ground and the "objects" and set the imagepoint correctly you this one sorts every time Y position of moving objects change, so it will stay sorted.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:33 pm

oh ok, didnt realise this yesterday night, was just too late for me :D
i did solve it by putting towers and people in one family and made a "for each (ordered by y ascending)->send to top of layer" event every 0.1 seconds, seems a bit dirty to me, will see if i can optimize it some more
B
S
G

Next

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests