an (isometric&low poly) Tower Defense game

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:45 pm

Its too bad you can't have a an invisible 2d layer, and just project the isometric objects to the isometric coordinates.... oh wait.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:59 am

MultipleChoice wrote:> @fldr , @tunepunk

looks promising! Here is an example capx i did for isometric, multilevel and multilayer (one screen) purposes. There is a solution for auto z-indexing according to the position.

Very effective, with no collision checking at all ;) check it out, it might inspire you the right direction. Let me know, if it helps.

download/file.php?id=10965

Original Post:
isometric-multiple-floors_t121850?start=30

Original Text:

Passing beneath/above object (being on different floors)
Finally all the basic features are included. Not using solid-behavior or pushout absicly at all, since you have to be able to pass under walls, which must be colliding with the player on the same floor. (There still can be some reduced even now, eg "guides"). Players can just swap places, like with the wall being put in the foreground or background according to any layers, which is not implemented yet, but easy from here.

No Solids
Obviously, you can work more with collisions, also adding solid behavior -- which is more stable and might be necessary especially on slow devices to prevent passing through walls when slowing down to few ticks per sec. --, and just use this method when both players are on different floors, to disable solid temporarily, but enable the collision-control-lock. But I don't know, how many objects you are going to end up with.. it's always good not to have too many collisions, especially, if you plan to play it on phones/tablets. So its a balancing...

Formula, Family and Harmony ;)
Also, it is just a sketch, I'm sure it can be optimized a bit. Sorry for any longer Formula, but I try to work with families and relative values, to build up a proper engine with all object types are being easily replaced or added easily, without further coding basically, so anyone can use it to start with. Of course, most of them will be registered, to provide some more transparency, (as I did already in this file). I am also thinking of putting them as a collection online somewhere in this forum, since I really enjoy developing different ones and got a bunch of them by now.

CONTROL KEYS:
Player A = AWSD
player B = L/R/UP-ARROWS

Thank you for the input! Will try out your capx tomorrow, now its bedtime here and i would propably not understand much :D
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:02 am

newt wrote:Its too bad you can't have a an invisible 2d layer, and just project the isometric objects to the isometric coordinates.... oh wait.

tell me more, tell me more ;)
am i reinventing the wheel here and everything im looking for can already be found here somewhere?
i saw that projection before but does it allow to set the turret range? or is really everything happening on the invisible 2d layer and the visible part is really only for visual enjoyment?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:39 am

"or is really everything happening on the invisible 2d layer and the visible part is really only for visual enjoyment?"

Yes, everything except z sorting takes place there.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:22 am

then i wouldnt have to calculate complicated ranges for the turrets?
i would be thankfull if you could tell me more or point me in the wright direction (what phrase to search for?) how to achieve that :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:48 am

First you make the game in 2d topdown.
Each object there would have a isometric counterpart on another layer that is offset to isometric coordinates.
iso x= 2d x- 2d y *(tile width/2)
iso y = 2d x+2d y *(tile height/2)

Edit:
Let me add containers work pretty good, except the container spawns on the parent objects layer.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:37 am

If you use Q3D for rendering, it implements a proper Z-Buffer and would correctly render things based on X-Y-Z without the ordering trouble :). It has a 2D sprite object you could use so its actually works well for isometric stuff too, and also gives you the freedom to add 3D stuff if you have to and use 3D collision detection, you could also use normal maps on 2D planes and add lights too. There's a bunch of features that would help with this type of project, since ISO is really mostly just 3D game development with 2D sprites instead of models.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:17 am

fldr wrote:Hi,
today i started working on an isometric tower defense game, using the lovely assets by Kenney.
Didnt got much yet, only a map, some enemy walking the path and making sure everything has the wright z-order. Isometric game design is totally new to me and i had a hard time figuring everything out with this damn z-order and where to place the tiles :D
but anyway, you can see what i got here: http://fldr.de/tower3

That looks amazing!

Here is my Isometric Endless runner game :)
viewtopic.php?f=148&t=125571
Video and Google Play link in my signature

Did you manage to raise the sprite when they walk over an elevated road like for instance the Bridge in your screenshot? How is that done?
Create your own Isometric Runner Game using C2:

Check out my game "Last of the Survivors":
Play Store
App Store
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:20 pm

newt wrote:First you make the game in 2d topdown.
Each object there would have a isometric counterpart on another layer that is offset to isometric coordinates.
iso x= 2d x- 2d y *(tile width/2)
iso y = 2d x+2d y *(tile height/2)

Edit:
Let me add containers work pretty good, except the container spawns on the parent objects layer.

Thank you! will try it!
What do you mean with the edit?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:22 pm

QuaziGNRLnose wrote:If you use Q3D for rendering, it implements a proper Z-Buffer and would correctly render things based on X-Y-Z without the ordering trouble :). It has a 2D sprite object you could use so its actually works well for isometric stuff too, and also gives you the freedom to add 3D stuff if you have to and use 3D collision detection, you could also use normal maps on 2D planes and add lights too. There's a bunch of features that would help with this type of project, since ISO is really mostly just 3D game development with 2D sprites instead of models.

i thought about your plugin before but i fear that its to huge for my current knowledge, but im still following your progress with it and will buy it eventually in the future
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests