Android Port system is terrible!

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi guys, i'm bought the Construct 2 license a year ago, i made some game demos on this great Game Engine but for porting for Android is terrible and why:

- No official Scirra exporter to Android (turn the game to a APK).
- Crosswalk and other export tools are terrible (they lag a lot and sound problems in a lot of devices)
- APK size in that exporter is huge, 20mb in a simple pong game?
- Mobile market is huge and the there none updates on mobile part of the Construct 2 engine, scirra forgot mobiles?

Now i'm using Java+Libgdx Framework, because i can export to everything, Desktop, ios, android, linux and windows phones or facebook (via HTML5 port) in max performance and native functions.
Construct 2 is great but needs too much more.
Last edited by PaulloAmaral on Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
10
S
5
G
2
Posts: 4
Reputation: 2,028

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:13 pm

I use cocoonJS and my game actually runs like a dream on Android. So try that first. But it would be really nice to be able to export a native app straight to mobile devices like iOs and Android indeed.
B
57
S
24
G
14
Posts: 771
Reputation: 13,133

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:17 pm

Anonnymitet wrote:I use cocoonJS and my game actually runs like a dream on Android. So try that first. But it would be really nice to be able to export a native app straight to mobile devices like iOs and Android indeed.


Already tried, better performance than Intel XDK but sounds lag and not work in some devices.
B
10
S
5
G
2
Posts: 4
Reputation: 2,028

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:49 pm

@PaulloAmaral Ok, I recently discovered that if i changed all my "on every tick event" to "every 0.01 seconds" instead. The performance of the game was greatly and I mean GREATLY improved on all my mobile devices. Try to use as high number as you can. So if you can use on every 0.1 seconds instead then do that.

The small lags here and there just disappeared. So on every tick events are heavier than I thought on the machine.

But crosswalk has never worked for me. Lags as hell and I do not understand how people here has been able to compile a game using it :P
B
57
S
24
G
14
Posts: 771
Reputation: 13,133

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:05 pm

@Ashley What's better: every n seconds or every dt*n seconds? Thanks
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
91
S
30
G
22
Posts: 1,985
Reputation: 20,149

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:13 pm

megatronx wrote:@Ashley What's better: every n seconds or every dt*n seconds? Thanks


Every n seconds is already frame rate independent (as the name suggest, it is time based and not framerate based, even though it cannot occur under dt itself), if you want something to happen every 2 or 3 ticks, you would be better with something similar to compare two values: tickcount%2 = 0 or tickcount%3=0.

It all depends onnwhat you prefer to do
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
53
S
22
G
18
Posts: 2,122
Reputation: 17,123

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Aphrodite wrote:
megatronx wrote:@Ashley What's better: every n seconds or every dt*n seconds? Thanks


Every n seconds is already frame rate independent (as the name suggest, it is time based and not framerate based, even though it cannot occur under dt itself), if you want something to happen every 2 or 3 ticks, you would be better with something similar to compare two values: tickcount%2 = 0 or tickcount%3=0.

It all depends onnwhat you prefer to do


tickcount%2 = 0 or tickcount%3=0 . this is interesting. I'm not exactly sure what is happening here?
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
91
S
30
G
22
Posts: 1,985
Reputation: 20,149

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Anonnymitet wrote:@PaulloAmaral Ok, I recently discovered that if i changed all my "on every tick event" to "every 0.01 seconds" instead. The performance of the game was greatly and I mean GREATLY improved on all my mobile devices. Try to use as high number as you can. So if you can use on every 0.1 seconds instead then do that.

The small lags here and there just disappeared. So on every tick events are heavier than I thought on the machine.

But crosswalk has never worked for me. Lags as hell and I do not understand how people here has been able to compile a game using it :P



I dont believe changed frame rates could improve performance, if you have a complex game or physics, lag will be there no matter you do.
B
10
S
5
G
2
Posts: 4
Reputation: 2,028

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Anonnymitet wrote:@PaulloAmaral Ok, I recently discovered that if i changed all my "on every tick event" to "every 0.01 seconds" instead. The performance of the game was greatly and I mean GREATLY improved on all my mobile devices. Try to use as high number as you can. So if you can use on every 0.1 seconds instead then do that.


Are you sure you meant every 0.01 seconds? Every 0.01 seconds should basically run the same as every tick at 60 fps.
Moderator
B
95
S
34
G
33
Posts: 3,007
Reputation: 27,876

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Message: IndieKiwi can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
megatronx wrote:
Aphrodite wrote:
megatronx wrote:@Ashley What's better: every n seconds or every dt*n seconds? Thanks


Every n seconds is already frame rate independent (as the name suggest, it is time based and not framerate based, even though it cannot occur under dt itself), if you want something to happen every 2 or 3 ticks, you would be better with something similar to compare two values: tickcount%2 = 0 or tickcount%3=0.

It all depends onnwhat you prefer to do


tickcount%2 = 0 or tickcount%3=0 . this is interesting. I'm not exactly sure what is happening here?


if tick counter divided by x has a remainder of 0, then true..

-
"Technically, the Every tick condition just means 'true'." - https://www.scirra.com/blog/141/common- ... nd-gotchas
B
32
S
7
G
2
Posts: 317
Reputation: 2,851

Next

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests