Animation editor REVAMP!!

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:05 am

I agree that the animation system in Construct could use some work. But I don't think it's a good idea to simply reproduce the UI of TGF's animation editor (your diagram is basically an outlined screenshot of TGF 1's animation editor). That UI was designed some time in the 90s, so it might not be wise to blindly copy something so old!

Davo's already implemented a very nice "filmstrip" at the bottom of the picture editor for images in animations. I think a better animation system would work as an extension to that. Also, I would prefer to get rid of the animation bar - perhaps a floating panel that only appears when the picture editor is open. I'm interested in redesigns, but not the one you posted.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:37 am

Yeah I figured it was a bit of a copy, but hell it works. A lot of construct looks a lot like those older ones anyway lol!
But hey I don't care what it looks like as long as it's user friendly!
I still like the radial display thingy though ;)
What I would REALLY like to see, even if you don't change anything else, is that importing suggestion I made. That would just streamline importing one hell of a lot and make other 2d genres a little more approachable, rather than just having side-on and top-down games all over the place

Hey maybe some other people reading this have some good animation editor UI ideas!
Everyone interested should throw up a little diagram!! :D Mass brainstorm moving in
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:19 pm

I'll try to sketch up something about the animation editor next week.

I agree with Ashley. The design used with the Clickteam's software is not very flexible, even if it's easy to use. There are better ways to do it, while maintaining simplicity.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:29 pm

animation previewing is a must in my book. it doesnt seem like it would be too complicated to make. i mean all your doing is creating an exe the size of the animations limits, putting a checkboard bg behind it, and placing the sprite where it needs to be. it wouldnt work any different than the temp.exe type thing thats used for layout previewing.

i never really use animation angles myself, but i do remember back in the day, the radial view made stuff wayyyy easier and simpler to understand.

a popup dialogue thats not intergrated within the image editor, but a tab thats part of the same window would be really nice. like you just tab between animation editor and image editor. it opens up the current selected frame and swaps to the image editor when you double click it, the image editor has the animation frame thing at the bottom like it does now, so you can scrub through frames of a specific anim quickly. and the best part of it would be that unlike the current system, where you have to launch the image editor every time you want to alter frames, then close it when you wanna add a new one or change animation, now you would be able to just quickly change what you're doing all in one place. without having to always relaunch the damn thing
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:39 pm

Yeah that sounds pretty sweet Quazi
A lot of people don't use animation angles, but i'm hoping a lot of people want to! And with a real UI it'd be heaps easy
I agree that the clickteam style animation editor would be a bit of a cop out, but as long as it gets the ball rolling for other ideas i'm happy :)
Keep those ideas comin! I'll probably try to come up with something later when I'm awake so I'm not a hypocrite :wink:
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:30 pm

The only thing that really annoys me on the animation editor is that I can't pick the transparent color.. I have to use the eraser. It would be a time saver if I could ctrl + click the transparency and paint as it was a color..
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:34 pm

Here's a timesaver tip:

If you make all of your sprites in another drawing program with a magic pink background, it will automatically turn all the pink transparent when you load it into Construct.

Of course, this doesn't work for aliased objects. Then you should be importing .png with transparency.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:41 am

I always, ALWAYS do my sprites in another program with transparency and save as PNG.

except when I'm doing stickmen. Which is a lot, lately.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion