Announcement PR wreck so far...

0 favourites

Scirra is really not good at announcing so far.

Scirra - Construct3:

They make a website announcement, release little to no info for 2 years.

https://www.construct3.com/

Claim that there will be no 3d game support, no native exporters, nothing will change but the editor itself.

Users complain on forum - asking for native exporters again, scirra snubs them.

Little to no interaction with their users during that time. No feedback taken from the community as to what they want, but users post threads with feature wish lists anyways. Note that these feature requests are not prompted by the developers. The developers show up once in a while to post there - but nothing major.

Little to no interaction on the forum. all hush hush

Then they tease with a big announcement a few days prior to today.

Then instead of announcing any new features to make me wanna buy it or upgrade, they announce a polarizing licensing model - in a blog post. Not on the fancy website. We also have a price for the rent - 99$ per year - for the indie dev. At this point we have a price and a licensing model we know half the users are gonna hate - but no exciting features or screenshots demonstrated or announced. Only announcements of what it's not gonna have - exactly what your community keeps requesting over and over again. Create new forum - half/most the posts are unhappy users complaining about the price and the licensing model.

Compare to clickteam - fusion 3:

• all key clickteam devs are actively taking in feedback on the forum for years - on a thread where they announced they are working on fusion 3 , they dont release a website but very early on start revealing information about the progress and some of the new features going in.

They ask their users as to what licensing model they would prefer. Then they announce that they will stay with their pay once model, where you can buy extra exporters. They are aware of the renting model as well, but choose to stay away from it, because most people on their forum don't like it.

Then at the forum they start announcing new features and confirming them - features based on requests and feedback from the community. At special events - show off work in progress videos.

Then they start showing videos on screenshots on a dev blog explaining the new features and how they address current problems.

http://www.clickteam.com/fusion-3-development-blog

At this point clickteam has given us incredible exciting feature demonstrations, we know their next engine is going to be awesome and we love the licensing model because we are very comfortable with it - buy once. Clickteam has met most of the community requests and demonstrated excellent involvement with the community. We still have no price, but at this point I am pretty sure most people would be willing to break the piggy bank and upgrade

Ashley - here is a rule of marketing - dont reveal the price. Delay revealing the price for as long as possible. In the meantime reveal the value of the product instead. Keep revealing the value and delay revealing the price - even when the user keeps asking for the later. Then once you have them convinced they must buy it, then reveal the damn price.

And don't give them a shit payment model that replaces the one good one they are on at the moment. The rent model is gonna lose you a lot of users

true on so many levels.

There is literally NOTHING C3 brings that I "need" at least not what they have shown me.

They opened it up a bit to make it easier for 3rd party people to modify the editor...but serriously, that isnt support or features. thats more relience on potentially unreliable 3rd parties and individuals. If something breaks, scirra holds no responsibility to help or correct things.

-runs in a browser. No thanks. Although i probably wouldnt care, it just seems a nuicance. web shortcuts, scrollbars, unrelated tabs etc. clutter and instability I dont need. also a distraction. I know if im in a browser im gonna get distracted.

-no exporters? no purchase. Practically every other engine has native exporters integrated that work.

-subscription? even the big companies have moved away from that. if C3 is aimed at the indie or hobby developer that is a huge mistake.

I could go on, but C3 isnt worth me spending time let alone money on. I'll stick with C2 for a while longer...but im brushing up on my c# in the meantime.

Just installed unity, visual studio and spine.

looks like im saying farewell to Scirra and brashmonkey.

----------

p.s

I hated fusion 2.5 with a passion. felt very un-intuitive and was not fun to work with. cant say im personally excited for 3

Nah, the fallout would have been far worse if they had waited to announce these exact features.

This way they don't have to worry about the users who wouldn't have paid for the new scheme anyways.

Now all they have to do is build up the value of C3, hence the trickle of information.

blurymind couldn't agree more. why debate on One time payment and Subscription based when we don't know what we are paying for! LoL. If the added feature is totally bad ass subscription based payments are totally on the go.

"We have an awesome new product! Stay tuned for announcements!"

"Announcement day is coming soon!"

Announcement: "It uses a pricing model everyone hates! and depends on browsers! Come back later and I'll tell you more if you're still interested!"

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Actually what annoys me most, more than the subscription model is the condescending PR bullshit - trying to spin bad things to look positive. It totally doesn't suit you guys. Just be upfront, if you're going to an obnoxious business model fine, but let's not pretend it's good and exciting for your users.

Nah, the fallout would have been far worse if they had waited to announce these exact features.

This way they don't have to worry about the users who wouldn't have paid for the new scheme anyways.

Now all they have to do is build up the value of C3, hence the trickle of information.

That was our thinking!

That was our thinking!

Is this some kind of joke? Do you think the concern of the users are funny?

Then I will be definitely out.

> Nah, the fallout would have been far worse if they had waited to announce these exact features.

> This way they don't have to worry about the users who wouldn't have paid for the new scheme anyways.

> Now all they have to do is build up the value of C3, hence the trickle of information.

>

That was our thinking!

Really Tom???????????????????????????????????????????????

Wow...rude...so your thinking is to ditch 80-90% of your former audience and build up on the rest? That's not just bad marketing...it's clearly lack of respect for your customers...

Don't think it's some sort of joke, we're reading everyone's comments. We took the decision to just be upfront as we could about pricing. Perhaps it would of been better or worse if we did it the other way round, who knows. It is what it is.

Don't think it's some sort of joke, we're reading everyone's comments. We took the decision to just be upfront as we could about pricing. Perhaps it would of been better or worse if we did it the other way round, who knows. It is what it is.

Ok...arrogance now...neat!

Suicidal tendenciespwz@Scirra?

> Nah, the fallout would have been far worse if they had waited to announce these exact features.

> This way they don't have to worry about the users who wouldn't have paid for the new scheme anyways.

> Now all they have to do is build up the value of C3, hence the trickle of information.

>

That was our thinking!

Ok, it's time to work to change the situation. There many anti-hype here, and is completely your fault. This are, in my opinion, your sins:

1.- You ignored COMPLETELY the wishes of your community for TWO YEARS.

2.- Over the develop time there was NO COMMUNICATION of the progress or the software specs.

3.- When you decide to show information, you take a complete wrong way to do it.

4.- No communication about your oficial position, in view of the storm that you have unleashed. And no, nothing is going to change with a picture of C3 in action.

We're still waiting you Ashley and Tom, because deep inside we still believe in you and your work, but you are walking the tightrope

>

> > Nah, the fallout would have been far worse if they had waited to announce these exact features.

> > This way they don't have to worry about the users who wouldn't have paid for the new scheme anyways.

> > Now all they have to do is build up the value of C3, hence the trickle of information.

> >

>

> That was our thinking!

>

Ok, it's time to work to change the situation. There many anti-hype here, and is completely your fault. This are, in my opinion, your sins:

1.- You ignored COMPLETELY the wishes of your community for TWO YEARS.

2.- Over the develop time there was NO COMMUNICATION of the progress or the software specs.

3.- When you decide to show information, you take a complete wrong way to do it.

4.- No communication about your oficial position, in view of the storm that you have unleashed. And no, nothing is going to change with a picture of C3 in action.

We're still waiting you Ashley and Tom, because deep inside we still believe in you and your work, but you are walking the tightrope

Cut the salts please. The only big wish from Construct 2 was the same old request for a native export? Read this blog in your wake and in your sleep: https://www.scirra.com/blog/ashley/28/t ... ve-engines

2. There was always communication from them, they even apologise for a silent time but you still have C2 to work on. It is just your patience that is missing. They choose when to release and the how, not you. Why is teasing you and with communication all over the forum wrong?

3. This is the best approach to it. As of all the replies from the founders. Any other ways will have cons too and you will still hop on the nagging bandwagon.

4. Its just less than 24 hours after the first announcement. What is going to change is your presence in this forum!

Ffs I wouldn't want to curse just so I won't get banned. I feel the guys at Scirra trying to work as hard on their releases... give them time to explain all. Again, they read the comments ffs!

Edit: I'm not talking specifically ferenzcy but the salty rests in this thread. I"M LOOKING AT YOU uboel

>

That was our thinking!

Why are you guys only responding to positive comments?

We, those who think this was stupid, aren't here to crucify you guys. We're here because your near perfect product got us here and seeing you mess up so flowers much genuinely sucks because we wanted C3 to be awesome!

To see why we think it was a stupid idea, take the example of the game "Evolve" now called "Evolve stage 2". They hyped it up by saying it's the future of FPS's or something along the lines.

Thing is, they posted all the dlc information (including price) before even showing a trailer for the game, showing what their really after. And of course, there was an uproar from the community.

It's now called "Evolve stage 2" and they converted it into a F2P because of the very few sales. (If you are interested, watch the jimquisition on it, it's a good episode)

You have done here exactly the same thing. And we don't want you to. We know you can and have done better than this.

Also, newt the value should've been already there, on the first line of the post.

>

That was our thinking!

I do not like this lack of respect for so many users who supported Scirra

bad very bad

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)