Another point and click adventure game thread

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Connect the dots in the correct order and draw happy animals!
  • Okay, so I think it's that time again to try and figure out the parts needed for an adventure game and what we have. Simple pathfinding/walkable areas for the character, some way of storing and recalling dialog trees, inventory that shuffles depending on added/removed items and verb sentence building. I would have thought most other design elements would be simple enough in construct, and retaining layout data between room changes would supposedly be easy with C2. I've not tried anything yet, but Adventure Game Studio still uses coding and is way too hard for me to try, so I'd like to give it a go with C2. Is it possible with relative ease right now?

• You can do it easily if you have basic knowledge of construct 2. (and if you know how arrays work)

Set up each features on a different event sheet then call each event sheets on a principal sheet used for each Layout.

Event sheet [Walking]

Interaction between the mouse, the player sprite movement and the walkable areas (you can use an invisible object over the background as the walkable area you can click on)

Event sheet [Dialogs]

The display on screen, the selection system and the dialog trees for each Layout (you can use an array for this)

Event sheet [Inventory]

The display on screen, the selection system, the interaction with screen objects (you can use an array for this)

Event sheet [Animations]

What happens if you use the matches on the wood. A NPC running around a fire.

Event sheet [Menu]

Save, Quit, Sound, Music, Pause system.

You can use Groups to organize each Event sheets for the different layouts or you have a very good memory.

(Or you can give things special names to renember easily Day04-12-16)

Hope this helps, with the arrays you can do everything except the pathfinding.

https://www.scirra.com/manual/108/array

• You can do it easily if you have basic knowledge of construct 2. (and if you know how arrays work)

Set up each features on a different event sheet then call each event sheets on a principal sheet used for each Layout.

Event sheet [Walking]

Interaction between the mouse, the player sprite movement and the walkable areas (you can use an invisible object over the background as the walkable area you can click on)

Event sheet [Dialogs]

The display on screen, the selection system and the dialog trees for each Layout (you can use an array for this)

Event sheet [Inventory]

The display on screen, the selection system, the interaction with screen objects (you can use an array for this)

Event sheet [Animations]

What happens if you use the matches on the wood. A NPC running around a fire.

Event sheet [Menu]

Save, Quit, Sound, Music, Pause system.

You can use Groups to organize each Event sheets for the different layouts or you have a very good memory.

(Or you can give things special names to renember easily Day04-12-16)

Hope this helps, with the arrays you can do everything except the pathfinding.

https://www.scirra.com/manual/108/array

That's actually given me some confidence to get started! So, for dialogs, what's the most efficient/least confusing way of storing all the dialog in the array? Or should it be loaded from an ini or something?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Here's a topic talking about the ini solution:

I'm not an expert for the dialogs but the ini solution isn't the only way to do it, you can do it directly in construct 2 (with a good organization)

If you have troubles to do the dialog system, I advise you to open a new topic.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)