Any interest in an HTML5 "compliant" desktop OS?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:19 am

I'm about to revive a little project I started about a year ago and was wondering whether there would be any interest in it, community wise.

The final goal is to have a stable, reliable and secure multimedia focused desktop operating system that appeals to creative people and features it's very own native tool-set (alongside classic tools from other, Unix based OS').

However, before I get there, I'd like to start off with a more simplified concept that only features applications coded in HTML5.

Since I'm employing open standards (Mozilla's Gecko rendering engine, in case of the HTML5 codebase) , porting your Construct 2 games to it would be a matter of minutes.

There are already some neat little features like irregularly shaped windows and alpha transparency for pretty much everything (including the contents of a window itself).

So what says the community? Blinx1232013-12-02 00:24:20
B
S

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:01 am

I'm interested, but I've used Chrome OS from my USB before. For me I love the ideas. But I suspect we will see intermediate OS first. A standard OS that runs HTML technologies invisibly integrated so no one ever notices.

I suppose this all comes down to getting people to use the OS. however if you can. I'm all keen on it :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:11 am

Technically, Windows 8 is already very HTML5 compliant/based (+ WebGL in 8.1, faster than Chrome in tests so far from the OS / IE11), the whole metro interface and *I think* most of the store apps are based on HTML5 too.

However, it would be awesome to see a light-weight OS like that which isn't made by a huge corporation, would it also be possible to support the current/older web multimedia platforms too (Java, Flash, Unity Web Player, etc)?Jayjay2013-12-02 04:11:40
Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:06 am

@JayJay
Yep that's very true. However I like to hold out away from newer MS OS's for a few years. Mostly for them to iron out the OS and come out with any new major iteration.

However I really feel that MS did a super smart move leading this rather than waiting for success first from other companies.

However. if any HTML OS came out I would certainly consider it :)

B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:46 am

What's the point? There's already operating systems that are developed by thousands of people, I don't think 1 person has a hope of catching up alone.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:10 pm

I'd be interested in an HTML5 OS that could be installed on a small PC in the living room and operated with a gamepad :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:51 pm

To develop a real OS, it is necessary to use native code. However you could create a new shell that runs on an existing OS.

Chrome OS and Firefox OS come close to a HTML5 OS - Firefox OS closest of all, since even the system UI is powered by HTML5.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:56 pm

I remember when HP and Palm came out with WebOS and a tablet that used it. I thought it was a great idea. Although I felt the release was too early I also thought they should have stuck to their guns and kept it going. But they gave in far to fast rather than hold out and continue to push the WebOS platform. I suppose since WebOS didn't storm the world they just dropped it :(
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:29 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley] To develop a real OS, it is necessary to use native code. However you could create a new shell that runs on an existing OS.

Chrome OS and Firefox OS come close to a HTML5 OS - Firefox OS closest of all, since even the system UI is powered by HTML5.[/QUOTE]

So far, my OS is actually nothing more than a modified Linux personality (sans the GNU userland) hosted on top of a modern microkernel.

Coming up with a specifically tailored native toolset and a bunch of full-screen applications really isn't a problem, even at this early point in time.

Where I struggle is with the window manager. Which is why I only wrote a small browser so far.

Right now, it's particularly tough to port any native application to the platform since the structure of my windowing system departs from the traditional concept that every application should host it's own window.
B
S

Post » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:22 am

After going through a number of spec changes and basically defaulting on a couple of key choices, I have made quite some progress on my OS.

There are now two development frameworks.

Junior, the one I'm currently concentrating development on, caters to the modern web developer and combines ease of use with a modern language supporting a number of native services and powerful graphical features. Natura, on the other hand, tries to provide a low level toolset for those who need every last bit of performance, reliability and security.

Here's a screenshot of Anima's login manager (WIP. Don't mind the debug console to the left). The frontend was entirely created in Junior whereas the backend relies on features that I'm going to add to Natura. Combining a Junior based application with code from Natura (or any other low-level framework, for that matter) required a single wrapper class of less than 20 lines.

B
S

Next

Return to Construct 2 General