Any news on the tile sheet editor?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:50 am

I was just wondering what the outlook was on getting a tile sheet editor in C2. It seems to be a pretty heavily requested item (going all the way back to Construct Classic). I've looked into the plugin from rex to import from Tile, but a lot of the built in C2 functionality is lost when moving to the new IDE.

As I'm starting to build out the levels in my game I'm curious - Is this feature being included any time soon? I'm wondering if I should put off any art in my game until a tile editor gets included, or if it's so far off being included (or scrapped because of technical reasons) it's better to go with an alternative now?

Thanks!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:28 pm

I'm gunna bump this super old thread, this is pretty important feature. Construct 2 has an enormous disadvantage when it comes to RPGs. Rex's tmx importer is good, but it requires a lot of external sources and it only works at run time.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Bump . This feature is highly needed
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:47 pm

Yeah I really hope this is addressed soon. Literally thousands of 2D games use tiles and not just retro ones, either. To say they're a niche feature is laughable; they are as essential as sprites themselves. Without them C2 is severely limited in what it can make.

[quote=Draspur]Construct 2 has an enormous disadvantage when it comes to RPGs.[/quote]
Any genre, really. I couldn't even make levels for Bumper's Quest or Schrdy using C2's layout editor.

[quote]Rex's tmx importer is good, but it requires a lot of external sources and it only works at run time.[/quote]
The TMXImporter is not a good solution as it radically changes the workflow and is way more work than it's worth:

-Every single object, property, tile, and background has to be hard-coded
-You have to have sprite objects act as tiles which is not only inefficient but a pain in the neck to work with
-Tiled is not that great of an editor in the first place and is only updated like once a year. The TMXImporter doesn't fully support it either.
-You don't get to use a single feature in C2's layout editor

I do appreciate Rexrainbow making it though... I wouldn't be working on anything right now without it.MadFactory2013-10-09 01:25:05
B
S
G

Return to Construct 2 General