Any plans for multiplayer improvements?

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Make it work on ios and osx and lot more developers will try harder/longer to make working multiplayer projects.
The fact it only runs on android doesn't cut it for the more serious and devoted developers.

Also, for those interested, I added a topic on the suggestion system to expand the plugin with audio video capabilities.

WebRTC's forte is audio/video/data streaming.
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:10 pm

lennaert wrote:The fact it only runs on android doesn't cut it for the more serious and devoted developers.

Are you talking about the Construct 3 editor, or games made in Construct 2/3, or multiplayer?
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Tom wrote:
lennaert wrote:The fact it only runs on android doesn't cut it for the more serious and devoted developers.

Are you talking about the Construct 3 editor, or games made in Construct 2/3, or multiplayer?

The multiplayer object used in games.
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Specifically webrtc support on Apple devices? Unfortunately that's not something anyone not at Apple can just make it work. On the bright side, I'm pretty sure it will inevitably come.
Mistakes were made.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:26 pm

lennaert wrote:Make it work on ios and osx and lot more developers will try harder/longer to make working multiplayer projects.

That's entirely in Apple's hands - and they're working on it.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Ashley wrote:
lennaert wrote:Make it work on ios and osx and lot more developers will try harder/longer to make working multiplayer projects.

That's entirely in Apple's hands - and they're working on it.

Keeping my fingers crossed then ^_^
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:30 pm

I'll weigh in here, as I wish multiplayer was improved as well. I spent months building a multiplayer platformer in C2 before the discussion was had that the platform behavior was (IIRC) too difficult to sync, and that the multiplayer engine was built more for top down. From what I've seen it was looked into, but I don't think it was ever resolved.

I thought everything was outlined pretty well in terms of how to use it; Ashley's tutorials were easy to follow and worked for things like menu screens and such (thanks btw!). But I had to abandon the project because of the platform problem, and move to Unity 2D.

If there was a more mature and robust multiplayer, I think it would be more appealing. Granted, most hobbyists aren't going to delve into a more advanced topic like this, but if Construct is for professionals and tinkerers, it would be great to have this ability. Army of one, of course.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:48 pm

Just because no one directly responded to @Ashley 's response to Everade: Dear god, no, please don't drop multiplayer support. :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:58 pm

@Ashley

Thanks for the reply.
No i don't want it to be removed, but waiting for an update which is never going to happen is really not fun.

Let me quote you from just a few weeks ago:
Ashley wrote:There's a number of other aspects like the Scirra Arcade, multiplayer signalling, the hosting of C3 itself, other services we haven't announced yet, and other services we'd like to add in future.

So i expected to see multiplayer improvements in Construct 3.

But now since the beta release there's nothing about that "promise".
And with your post above saying that there are no plans to improve it any further is just a huge let down yet again.

And yes, multiplayer isn't easy.
Your tutorial is also pretty good.
It helped me to get multiplayer properly working with the prediction and anything else that's important about online multiplayer environments.
Although there's still a lot more that could be covered. But i can work with it even though i'm an absolute Construct 2 beginner.
I'm just saying that since that release back then, multiplayer has just been left back in the void.

If at least you could improve the solid behaviour (which could also be useful for non-multiplayer scenarios) that would already be a huge relief.
Yet the biggest request (which i understand is a lot of work) would be support for dedicated server hosting.
I'm not really expecting that to ever happen, even though it would be freaking amazing.

But i would already be more than just happy with the solid behaviour update.

oosyrag wrote:Curious, it works fine and has full functionality as dedicated host, regards if you're running it in nw.js or a browser tab, so wondering what the problem is there. Is not like clients ever see what the host sees, depending on how you approach it.

Also, what is the benefit of running for own signalling server? Honest question, I really don't see it.

The main question I guess would be what exactly you want to see improved and how?

The solids issue you mention is hardly unique to multiplayer projects, and there are logical workarounds. Also it will likely be addressed in a C3 runtime update, which is planned for the future.

Full dedicated host functionality?
Do you mean if i let the game itself run on a windows server or what?
That's a really non-performant ugly workaround. I think Ashley even said that himself from what i can remember in a private message.

Benefit of running an own signalling server is:
I have full control over availability and geographical location (about 1 year ago the scirra signalling server was down for several days and i've offered my signalling server to others (and yes it has been used by several people))

And the solid issue i've mentioned has no logical workaround.
I've been testing tons of different things but everything was an ugly workaround which ended up with specific bugs which are impossible to be fixed.

Maybe someone could write a plugin for that, no idea since i'm not a coder (that's why i'm here using Construct in the first place).
And "likely" be adressed is a huge word.

@Ashley
I would love to hear some feedback from Ashley on this particular case.
Last edited by Everade on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:00 pm

brushfe wrote:..... the multiplayer engine was built more for top down..

It can be used in near all game types, it's all in the approach.

Last (for fun) project I was working on was a RTS space game:
I managed to pull it off, did tests with 4 players on a lan each able to create up to a dozen ships and able to control each ship individually or as group(s) and fight each other.

The amount of ways you can develop a multiplayer mechanic are about as diverse as the options to move a sprite from a to b.
Who dares wins
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion