Any really profitable games made with construct 2?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:27 am

Iolva wrote:@Silverforce Hi
I just would like to know why you change Ludei compiler in your Star Nomad?

I posted this in another thread in regards to Scirra depreciating CocoonJS:

who-wants-cocoonjs-support-back_t115170?start=20
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:41 am

I have nothing against C2, but I switched to Unity primarily because of two reasons:

- Industry standard. I can have my game 'fail' and probably get a decent job with a company working on another game because Unity is more standardized.
- Export. This is the issue mentioned by someone else. HTML5/web is not a profitable platform right now, and C2 export options are all third-party plugins. If you want to see C2 get some real adoption, Scirra must produce and maintain their own exporters, just like Unity does. Trying to export to mobile in C2 is a bunch of headaches where Scirra blames the plugin developers and the plugin developers blame Scirra.
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:40 am

@Excal : There is a profitable market of html5 browser games actually. Although small, it is growing and should slowly replace the flash one. It is not a market where you can create anything you'd like though. Anyway, I made a decent part of my income this year with html5 games, without investing much time and effort.

However, quite clearly: wrapped games tend to perform poorly. When you compare it to the crazy performances of Unity or some framework like cocos, the difference is astonishing! Not only that, but with a tool like unity in particular, you do get a lot of flexibility as far as your possibilities are concerned.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:07 am

@Excal Your point #1 is really good, it's something most of us wouldn't have considered.

Unity is the industry standard and I see lots of job offers requiring expertise with it. It's a game engine that is used widely, from solo indie devs to big AAA companies.

#2 isn't so bad anymore, with Intel XDK for Android & Ejecta for iOS.

@Valerien Performance isn't too bad either, but certainly not as efficient as raw C++ or Objective C.

If I had my time again, I would definitely use Game Maker engine instead of C2, its more suited for my needs, which is primarily 2D mobiles. At the time, Unity did not have a good 2D option. Saying that, currently with XDK, I am satisfied on Android.

100% for PC/MAC, C2 isn't the limiting option for 2D games reaching success.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:02 am

martinDrew wrote:
DuckfaceNinja wrote:Analogy: Heck, I dont think a success factor of a novel is determined by the tools used by the writer, it can be notepad, ms word, or just pencil and paper, but CREATIVITY IS.

This. As someone who has written several manuscripts, and published one, I can tell you that it all boils down to creativity (and good grammar, of course:P). As long as the tool is capable, and the person using it knows what he/she is doing, there shouldn't be a problem. I think people tend to get a case of grassisgreeneritis, and want to hop platforms just because "someone did something cool over there, I can too" and then jumps ship every time something new comes out. Those are the people that never finish anything. Just my opinion, of course.

I completely agree. While it can be said some tools have limitations that stifle creativity to a degree (for example, if you couldn't include audio but were making Piano Simulator 2015...), the main limitations when it comes to game design are creativity, understanding of game mechanics, and patience. Patience is a big one, because you won't make the world's most amazing game overnight. Patience also entails understanding, because if you like your game, there's certain to be 50% of people that probably won't and you can't please everybody. They might bitterly insult your game, but just ignore them; if there's no helpful criticism, then it isn't beneficial to take on-board.

Another important quality I find helpful is OPTIMISM! You might tell friends and family you're making a game where ____ happens, with lots of graphics and sound you'd paid a composer to create, and they'll bring out the 'You should spend your time doing something else, what's the chance your game will make something of itself?' rhetorical question. The point is, if you love what you're doing and aren't purely doing it for money, then WHO CARES?! Do what you like to, and when the game is created you can look back at the process and be grateful you were able to participate in such a ride. Not many (on a global scale) attempt it.
Founder of Jadelight Studio, Developer of Libertas Aedifex, regular C2 Help contributor and fan of ambient music and Star Wars.
B
S

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:41 pm

Just my 2 cents, C2 is an engine, chosing an engine/language/platform/etc is part of thz job I think, however, popularity of said engine should not come into play, except for support(a large community wih helpful member will help more easily than a little community in general), what the engine does, how it does it, all comes into play, in general it is not a matter of "did C2 did somehing great", but more "does C2suits me and my plans?".

C2 is an html5 engine (html5 being multiplatform and more and more performant as time passes, that also has the advantage of not being an executable file), however it is not as powerful as native (when performances is a real concern, that comes into play), wrappers are not to enter into consideration as a part of C2, they are more a part of html5 (and they become more and more useless technically speaking as time passes, being more a psychological executable file, since html5 is not yet a good market except for publishing, and even then, it is more driven by profit and insane requirement more than something viable long term wise).
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Um yeah, I call bs on the Unity thing. Tools have little to do with accomplishing your goals. The only things that are absolutely necessary are skill, and drive.
Take Spelunky for example, Gamemaker sucked, especially back then, and yet Derek Yu was able to knock one out of the park.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:56 pm

Tools actually have a lot with accomplishing your goals. For example, trying to make a 3D game in C2 is probably possible, but you're much better off just using a 3D engine. The same applies for publishing - why would you use Stencyl if you're trying to publish on XBox One? You'd be hard-pressed to export to your desired platform because you chose an engine that isn't targeted toward that platform.

As for skill and drive, sure, you can cut down a tree with a knife - that would be hard working and require a lot of skill and drive. But you could also choose to be smart about it and get a chainsaw. As my first employer told me, tools are tools - don't get married to them and pick the right one for the job. C2 is great for some things but not great for everything.
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:42 pm

If you think that a tool is the key to a career then good luck.
Might want to start cozying up to the game journalists, apparently thats a industry standard as well.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:46 am

@newt

but @Excal is 100% right. If someone wants stable job with good salary and many job offers - then he should learn Unity. If someone wants just to try make game and check if he is lucky (i.e. to get enough profits from ads in mobile apps) - then Construct 2 is enough. But if his game fail, then sorry, but almost no one would like to hire C2 dev.

@Excal I would move to Unity, but I'm too lazy for programming. I guess everyone would move to Unity if there would be something similar (easy) to event system, behaviors, touch plugin etc. etc. etc.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General