Any Xbox One can now be a dev kit, any benefit for C2 users?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:43 pm

So today it was announced that every Xbox One console can now be used as a dev kit, and it appears that the games will be running under UWP apps. I was wondering if this will be of any benefit to C2 users looking to get their games on Xbox, or if it's something that doesn't change anything for us.

I've never tried getting a game on Xbox, so I don't know if C2 games are already on Xbox One, or if this will even help towards getting them on there if they're not. Thoughts?
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:46 pm

Just adding a link with more info,

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/30/113185 ... ne-dev-kit
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:21 pm

Scofano wrote:Just adding a link with more info,

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/30/113185 ... ne-dev-kit

Thanks Scofano, I forgot to link the same article!

EDIT: I'd also like to add that I know C2 can export to a format for the windows store, is this what they're talking about when they mean UWP games? I apologize for my ignorance on the subject.
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:57 pm

Slightly off topic, you can play games through the Xbox One's browser, as long as your game is set up to use a gamepad. All the buttons are mapped correctly and performance is pretty good.
Just input the URL in the browser and the game runs much like it would on PC.
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:04 pm

ryanrybot wrote:Slightly off topic, you can play games through the Xbox One's browser, as long as your game is set up to use a gamepad. All the buttons are mapped correctly and performance is pretty good.
Just input the URL in the browser and the game runs much like it would on PC.

Yeah! I read about that a while back. I am interested however on whether or not this will make it possible/easier to get a game on XBLA.
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:27 pm

Universal apps should cover everything.
This just feels like a ploy to sell more Bones.
Won't be long till developing for Windows desktop doesn't have much to do with exe anyway.
Too bad the store sucks.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:44 pm

Vpick wrote:Yeah! I read about that a while back. I am interested however on whether or not this will make it possible/easier to get a game on XBLA.

I brought it up more as a way you can test your game without having to compile it as a UWP.
Also, I know that when the dev mode is fully released you will only have access to 1GB of system memory, which seems like a real let down.

Oh well, it will be interesting to see what comes of it. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get C2 games running on the console, as it's essentially a mid-grade PC running windows 10.
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:37 am

What base code does an UWP app use? I read some tutorials and what I got out of it is that HTML5 code will run as an app without any packaging. Am I getting this right?

The 1GB system memory is indeed not too much. :/ Still, I think it's a great opportunity for the devs to get their games to Xbox. To be realistic, you can't expect a player to type in the URL of your game in the browser on their console.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:05 am

I tried it last night but there seems to be a problem, well for me at least.

To use your Xbox as a dev kit you need to have the latest version of the Windows 10 SDK, however construct 2 will not let me export using the latest SDK as I get a "is not a supported value for targetplatformversion" error.

So will have to wait until C2 supports the latest SDK before we can test on a retail dev kit.

Unless I've missed something this seems to be the case.
B
S

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:51 pm

Any estimation on long it would take Construct to support that?
B
S

Next

Return to Construct 2 General