Any Xbox One can now be a dev kit, any benefit for C2 users?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:17 pm

Flump wrote:I tried it last night but there seems to be a problem, well for me at least.

To use your Xbox as a dev kit you need to have the latest version of the Windows 10 SDK, however construct 2 will not let me export using the latest SDK as I get a "is not a supported value for targetplatformversion" error.

So will have to wait until C2 supports the latest SDK before we can test on a retail dev kit.

Unless I've missed something this seems to be the case.

Are you talking about this error?

I'm pretty sure the problem is on MS's end. If you open the Dev Home app you can see the OS version is "10.0.14290.1014" and it needs to be "10.0.14295.0" or higher, so until they release an update there's no way of doing it I think.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:41 pm

andreyin wrote:
Flump wrote:I tried it last night but there seems to be a problem, well for me at least.

To use your Xbox as a dev kit you need to have the latest version of the Windows 10 SDK, however construct 2 will not let me export using the latest SDK as I get a "is not a supported value for targetplatformversion" error.

So will have to wait until C2 supports the latest SDK before we can test on a retail dev kit.

Unless I've missed something this seems to be the case.

Are you talking about this error?

I'm pretty sure the problem is on MS's end. If you open the Dev Home app you can see the OS version is "10.0.14290.1014" and it needs to be "10.0.14295.0" or higher, so until they release an update there's no way of doing it I think.

Nope, that's a different error.
This is the exact error:
Error "10.0.10240.0" is not a supported value for TargetPlatformVersion. Please change it on the Project Property page."

My best guess is that the C2 exported was designed with the 10.0.10240.0 SDK in mind and when the SDK was updated by MS the exported was made obsolete. I may be wrong but that's what it seems like to me.

I had this error before I tried exporting to the Xbox, re-installing the previous SDK fixed it.
B
S

Post » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:07 pm

OK, all working now.
With the visual studios update 2 and the new windows sdk everything seems to export perfectly now.

Managed to get my build working on my Xbox One today.

Wasn't running very well but I guess a big part will be down to the 500MB RAM limit we're restricted to at the moment.

Still amazing to have it running on console! Other than the slow down everything seemed to be intact. Controls were great and Web GL effects were all there.

All in all pretty awesome :)
B
S

Post » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:03 pm

So I'm unfamiliar with Windows SDK installs - does it require a reinstall of my current version of Windows 10?

I'm part of the [email protected] program and would like to give this a try porting over one of my Wii U games - after which I would record footage of the game launching on Xbox and send it over to Microsoft for further review. So any help getting me up and running by those who already have would be great.

-Mike
MIKE ASCHENBRENNER | RCMADIAX
Twitter/Instagram/Vine: @RCMADIAX
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:06 pm

Nutzaboutpoker wrote:So I'm unfamiliar with Windows SDK installs - does it require a reinstall of my current version of Windows 10?

I'm part of the [email protected] program and would like to give this a try porting over one of my Wii U games - after which I would record footage of the game launching on Xbox and send it over to Microsoft for further review. So any help getting me up and running by those who already have would be great.

-Mike

Nope, you just need the updated windows 10 SDK.
Have a read through here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... er-preview
That should help.
B
S

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:19 am

I just sold my Xbox haha
Download Pistons:

B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:48 pm

This is awesome news, thanks for looking into it, Flump!
B
S

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:23 pm

Are there any requirements for making game for xbox? for example a screen resolution size or aspect ratio for xbox?
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:06 am

I wouldn't get too excited.
It seems that Microsoft wants apps, not games. Game development will still be restricted to certain devs.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/u ... not-games/
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:23 am

Lancifer wrote:I wouldn't get too excited.
It seems that Microsoft wants apps, not games. Game development will still be restricted to certain devs.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/u ... not-games/

I don't see how that's a problem. Didn't we know all along you'd have to go through [email protected]? The point of this is that your game is deployable to the console. The red tape is still the same as it has always been, though.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General