Anybody any idea in which Construct 2 is written?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:37 am

I understand your opinion.
But you need to understand that the Scirra site advertising does say that it is not necessary to program when we know that this is not true.
In fact this the way Scirra sells the product, so I do not need to download the free version of the product.
This is what is on the page:
"No Programming Required!
You can now make advanced games without writing a line of code. Construct 2 does the hard work so you do not have to.
Our highly intuitive event system makes putting your games together quick and easy.
You've finally found it. The powerful, full featured and professional game development software you've always been looking for. "
This is true if you want to make a simple game, but if you want to make complex games you will have to learn to program.
Good bye.
But one thing I have to admit, marketing is incredible.
I'll keep looking for other software.
Some product that does not lie on the homepage.
B

Post » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:45 pm

Brian have you sought legal advice or contacted Trading Standards about your concerns over misleading advertising? I'm curious what they say about it.
B
S

Post » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:45 pm

You don't need to write traditional code to make complex games in C2. But you'll have to master algorithmic thinking. You can't skip that part whatever tools you are using.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:27 am

Its an interesting argument.

I wouldn't have touched Construct 2 unless it had said "no programming required"

So I'm very glad it did.

But from my 6 months with construct 2 i think i can confidently say there are 7 things that you will need to have , or acquire, to achieve anything with Construct 2.

An ability to quickly investigate, understand and formulate solutions to technical problems.
A basic appreciation of general programming logic.
A basic knowledge of maths
Some artistic ability
An appreciation of sound and music production
An ability to remain organised, focused and determined.
A true love of games with a deep understanding of what makes the good ones good.

Happy new year folks.....
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:13 pm

This again... someone brings this up every now and then.

It really means "no traditional programming required". Try traditional programming. Try Construct 2. They are obviously completely different. The intent is that C2 is far easier to get going with as well, since you don't have to learn the syntax of a traditional typed programming language.

However we think "no programming required" is the most concise and easiest way to communicate what the purpose of C2 is all about. If you don't like it, you can of course go and use other tools, many of which have a focus on traditional programming languages.

BTW this topic is irrelevant to the original post, which was about the programming languages used to build C2 itself. You should probably start a new thread if you want to discuss a different topic.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:53 pm

@Brian Griffin its not misleading at all. im an hobbyist artist too and i dont know even how to succesfully do the "hello world" thing in any language. but then i found construct and can do things that it will take ages for me to learn how to do. you can make very good games if you got a great story and visuals sounds etc. the thing is that you as a new user i assume dont know that here in C2 the "coding not required" thing is 100% true. go play with unity playmaker and similar plugins, go for game maker studio 2 fancy new drag and drop system, or unreal blueprints where all of them announce "without writing a sinlge line of code" but its not true. there the coding "is required' but in a more friendly way you don't write code you connect ready blocks of code. not even close to the simplicity of C2. AAA games is a difficult thing to do alone with or without code. and to sum up you can be a millionaire with a fnaf game or flappy bird too you know. And these games can be made with C2. its not only the engine its the idea its the timing and of course hard work and luck.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:13 pm

@Brian Griffin I recommend learning JS if you wanna make serious commercial games with C2, its a bless really how easy it will be for you to make outstanding projects in 50% less time than with plain code.
If you know JS, you could make everything ! and I mean everything that comes to your mind ! If I needed a function that was missing, I just went to the JS libraries archive and fetched for the library which does the thing that I wanted, then bam!, you implement your own plugin accordingly.

So learning JS and getting used to C2 is going to make you forget about all those fancy IDEs out there (Unity , Game maker , Unreal engine etc... ).

And I cannot wait for C3 and its SDK
Banned User
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General