Anybody heard of the nD?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:06 pm

I just stumbled upon a new console in the making called the "nD", it's currently only in prototype stages, but I'm definitely getting one when it's finished The developers plan on selling it for production cost (between $10 and $20 they say) but it has better specs than a DS!

It only supports C and C++ at the moment using SDL, but maybe a Construct 2 exporter could be made if the nD gets popular?

Anyway, you can check it out here: nD Jayjay2011-07-02 19:06:25
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:13 pm

I wouldn't trust it. Its made by the same guy who made "Bob's Game" which was a joke, I wouldn't put my hopes up on this. But it would be an awesome system.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:32 pm

[QUOTE=MelodiousRefractions] I wouldn't trust it. Its made by the same guy who made "Bob's Game" which was a joke, I wouldn't put my hopes up on this. But it would be an awesome system.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean joke as in, it was never made? As that would be because nintendo never let him actually bring it out on the DS. The game is supposedly going to be released on the nD. I just hope that it doesn't turn out to be another viral advertisement like the website was.

But yeah, I'm not holding my breath, too many things fade away on the internet.

Edit: Found a demo release of bob's game hereJayjay2011-07-02 19:51:38
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:49 pm

The Game Park consoles never made a huge impact beyond the really hardcore homebrew crowd (who now have moved to iOs/Android) and I doubt this will either.

Even if it does get sold cost they will have to either pony up the royalty cost for using the D-Pad design or face Nintendos lawyers.

It's a commendable goal, but I just don't see it flying, with todays competition. =/
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:57 pm

[QUOTE=inkBot] The Game Park consoles never made a huge impact beyond the really hardcore homebrew crowd (who now have moved to iOs/Android) and I doubt this will either.

Even if it does get sold cost they will have to either pony up the royalty cost for using the D-Pad design or face Nintendos lawyers.

It's a commendable goal, but I just don't see it flying, with todays competition. =/[/QUOTE]

I'd say that's because a game park console is around $100, not $10/$20.

As for the D-Pad, the Dingoo and other handheld devices get away with it, so I don't think Nintendo has any grounds in that respect. Bob's game does slash at Nintendo though. That may be where they get in trouble.

Yeah, I agree, but if they can market in retail stores as a kids console they'd definitely attract attention. $10 to play any electronic games beyond tetris is a steal, let alone Doom or console emulation.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:23 pm

Well if they can get it to WallyWorld, then its pretty much guaranteed to sell. But that comment on Americans using it is kinda off putting.
Also looked at the so called wiki... its not very encouraging.
Then again neither is ours.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:25 pm

Nintendo owns the patent of the design. There's a good possibility that the makers of Dingoo 'are' paying royalties to use it, they usually don't broadcast such things (public image and all that). Unless you have proof that they are not.

Here's the major problems with the product. Sure, the price is fine for the consumer, but if they do sell it at production cost they make zero profit from it. 10% of the profit from game/app sales could do well, if they had a really large market penetration, I don't think they do.

The other problem is, the only viable things to sell on the platform is homebrew games and apps (no one will ever buy or sell an emulator for example), but the market for it is nowhere near as profitable as iOS or Android.

I realize I come off sounding negative about it, but I'm looking at it from a developer viewpoint rather than a consumer one.inkBot2011-07-02 20:30:32
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:36 pm

I don't think anything with a trailer like this could be real-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QD9Lo78yH8&feature=related

But still a part of me wants this to be real. Things like gaming consoles are still out of reach of the common people in the developing countries because of the prices. Even handheld consoles like PSP actually cost more than half of the monthly salary of a common man. And if something this cheap is available, I'm sure it'll be popular.    
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:37 pm

I just saw that, and they have some games on the catalog already, a free/open source based SDK and specs that are pretty impressive.

For the price (10 to 20$) it could be a nice market/medium to keep an eye on.

Kyatric2011-08-28 22:37:38
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:47 pm

I'm bumping it because damn, it is something to keep an eye on.

It's cheap, its portable with SDL, and it will create a market with enough indie support. Doesn't matter the past behaviors of the that guy or its goofy advertisement, as long as it does come out.

Hopefully we see Construct games working on it. ;P
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic