Anyone doing One Game a Month?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:47 pm

We can stick a thread in the "Your creations" forum for example for each month's "challenge".

In CC there used to be a colossal reward of 1$ paid by some motivated member each month.
Perhaps the reward of the challenge could be simply to have a game made (pretty much like Ludum Dare's line, with mainly exposure on Scirra's forums).

I agree that prototypes and offering support in the forums allows to work one skills and keep things interesting/fast paced.
But "gaining" the experience of completing a game is also good and has deep impact on the whole process of game making, from the prototype to the release phase.
(Also it legitimises your position as game maker)

Actually completing a game apparently can be considered one tough task to handle in game making by many people (according to the results of this poll).
This site can be considered as a mainstream source.

So yes, having some challenges allowing members of our community to complete games is a nice idea in my opinion ^^Kyatric2013-01-12 21:48:26
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:14 am

Prizes don't bother me at all. I'm enjoying learning C2 by doing things I wouldn't normally do, and challenges would motivate me, and increase my knowledge and experience.

I agree, finishing a game is damn hard. Starting is way too easy in comparison.

I've finished one game in my life, and even then I didn't consider it finished, but had to rush it out for a deadline. I didn't get the chance to polish it and add ideas that would've made it more complete in my eyes.

So I guess I would consider myself experienced in how hard it is to see a game through to completion.

Just because a game is finished, it doesn't mean the work is over. Creating a custom installer can take some time, especially if you've never done that kind of thing before. Then the website... and the marketing... and... ugh don't get me started ;p

Not that any of that would matter in a challenge...

I really hope we can get some sort of challenge going. Weekend challenges would be good as I know that's when people have the most time to work on stuff. Besides, that's my drinkie time, so creativity would be upped a few levels ;) but any time is fine by me!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Perhaps since EgoAnt started this thread he can pick the first topic or challenge. How about it EgoAnt? Throw something at us!
B
S

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Good point! EgoAnt! EgoAnt! EgoAnt! ;)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:12 pm

hahaha. Well, the theme word for this month on the One Game a Month site is "Portcullis" and they are offering this image as inspiration:

We could either go with that or I would be more than willing to come up with something else if people want something original.
Visit me at EgoAnt.com
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:24 pm

I think to fire people's imaginations, it'd probably be better having random words that just don't seem to fit together, like "cows, space, mushrooms".

tbh, Portcullis does nothing for me. If people like that though, then I'll have a go at something, but right now... nothing comes to mind ;p
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:59 am

One game a month is into it's third month now. Based off just searching for tags like Construct 2 on Onegameamonth.com It does look like a good number of people who use construct 2 have joined in.    
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:30 pm

I started late, but I'll be entering my game for the March "Rogue"-themed game (and, no, mine is not a rogue-like...)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 pm

sounds like an awesome idea. We could participate with the one game a month site, or do our own version, or both

it's be nice for the community here to pick a theme each month and everyone work on it and share results.

i'd suggest that rather than the theme being something specific like portculis (it kind of ties your ideas to a castle setting) it should be something more abstract to encourage innovation and variety.
i'd suggest a theme like parenthood, or the unknown, i dunno, just not something that's gonna produce a bunch of different castle games.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic