Anyone used Electron or DecSoft to convert C2 games into exe

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:38 am

I've also made this as a comparison.

Browser : http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/941245 ... rowser.png
NWjs : http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/318128profilenwjs.png
Electron : http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/784276 ... ectron.png

This is not very relevant, but it's a small test.
http://armaldio.xyz - Image - Join now our Discord Server ;) - https://discord.gg/0eLPLj96B4tUr1D3
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:55 am

PixelPower wrote:Yeah Tom and Ashley now say if something is broken , ask the other people to fix it. Look here for another example
update-for-kongregate-plugin_t178688
I posted something like this in response to Ashley and Newt
Point blank to everyone we paid for certain things so we should receive them period. No one paid Kongregate to use C2. We paid Tom and Ashley so they should give us support. ...

Niceone, another feature that can be put on the list of "Dead Promised Features".

Normally I won't judge Ashley and his actions because I believe that he knows what he's doing but for me this whole HTML5 game engine thing feels like a smart move. All extensive bugs get blamed on the browser vendors, leaving him behind as the good guy that cannot do anything about it.

I personally don't get hyped for C3 anymore because all we know about it so far confirms that the main architecture of the engine will remain, meaning HTML5 will also be the way to go for that engine. On the other hand if he was really just working on "editor improvements", I doubt that it would take him this long to develope them. I don't want to hype unknown features up but for me this really looks like he's trying to do the transition into native exporting.

EDIT:
Compared to the days when C2 started, he doesn't have the niche market for webbased game engines anymore.
So from my point of view he either rolls with the same but different but still same game engine and risks the backfire of being unpopular compared: Unity, MF3, SPARK and many more OR he will have to go their way and offer both, which I highly doubt because he's already struggling to keep up with the current setup of exporting.

Sorry might have went a little too "off-topic" with this. :?
Last edited by TheRealDannyyy on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:59 am

armaldio wrote:I've also made this as a comparison.
Browser : http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/941245 ... rowser.png
NWjs : http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/318128profilenwjs.png
Electron : http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/784276 ... ectron.png
This is not very relevant, but it's a small test.

That's good, always nice to do measurements, I'm sure that Ashley will like this one too.
I recommend to provide everything, from the source code to detailed debug information.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:32 am

armaldio wrote:@Arima It's not really an exporter :

- I've made a precompiled version of electron, and i've all setup inside the way you just have to export to the right folder and it should work.
Since exporting each time is a bit boring, i've also setup "liverealod". That means that instead of, closing and reopening the executable each time to test your changes, you can let it running and it'll watch for any changes. If there are, onliy the view is reloaded, automatically.
With electron, you can also have plugins that uses node modules.

The next step is using the "custom preview browser" option of C2, i'm sure that will work.

Count me in! :D I freaking hate NodeWebKit...
Would kill a puppy for any valid alternative.

TheRealDannyyy wrote:
PixelPower wrote:I personally don't get hyped for C3 anymore because.

There is a saying.
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:18 am

irbis wrote:Count me in! :D I freaking hate NodeWebKit...
Would kill a puppy for any valid alternative.

I mean you could create a NWjs program using C2 with Arduino + plugin, run it using a Raspberry Pi 2
and put it inside a beach ball so that it rolls around by itself, basically a perfect toy for a puppy.
Wait a second, you didn't ask for this. :P

To be more serious, NWjs isn't that bad it just has some annoying flaws that need to be worked out.
I'm just hoping that they keep on updating as frequent as they do right now.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:28 am

Please note that NW.js is only available with a license and any discussion of ways to circumvent the license restriction is not allowed, even if it is possible.

I cannot think of any technical reason Electron would perform better or worse than NW.js - they are based on the same Chromium browser engine, so are running pretty much the same code. The screenshots of performance results look close enough to be within the margin of error, or deriving from window size differences or the Chromium version used. Realistically I don't think anything would be much different if we supported Electron, and it could be a lot of work.

NW.js is regularly updated and AFAIK is robust enough for several games to have been published to Steam with it. As far as I am aware the new versions tend to work better than the old versions, not worse, especially since they come with the feature, performance and memory improvements of the newer Chromium versions. If you run in to problems please do file bugs for any issues you have so we are aware of them.

The "relying on browsers" argument has been done to death a bunch of times already and I'm really sick of it - you can't avoid relying on third parties in software. If we went native then we would be hosed by crappy graphics drivers instead, and there wouldn't be anything we could do about it. So I know it's frustrating when there are problems caused by other software projects, but there is no reason to think that changing which software we depend on would fundamentally resolve that.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:41 am

Ashley wrote:Please note that NW.js is only available with a license and any discussion of ways to circumvent the license restriction is not allowed, even if it is possible.

So, are you saying that Scirra won't allow @armaldio to publish the Electron plugin? Or I misunderstood something?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:48 am

glerikud wrote:So, are you saying that Scirra won't allow @armaldio to publish the Electron plugin? Or I misunderstood something?

Why would we allow people to advertise ways to circumvent the free edition restrictions? That breaks our whole business model.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:57 am

Ashley wrote:Why would we allow people to advertise ways to circumvent the free edition restrictions? That breaks our whole business model.

That is true. Hm... I have a quick idea (could be a bad one): For C3 you could make some restrictions to the plugin system to limit what plugins could work with the free version, so the plugin developers can set these up for themselves. If you already have to filter out such plugins that goes around the license restrictions, you could also check that whether the developer set up the restriction right or not. That way the business model shouldn't be damaged and users could experiment and test methods like Electron.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:58 am

@Ashley is right though, technically this is against the free edition license.
I guess it is too late now since people can actually see this topic, so how do we go on with this?

Are we forced to close this or are we allowed to go on and only share the plugin + "exporter" with people that actually own a license?
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General