Apple and its patent

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Now this could become a huge wave:

Apple was awarded U.S. patent number 7,966,578. It basically means a multi-finger-gesture driven display belongs to Apple, and everyone re-inventing it (e.g. Samsung, HTC, Windows 7, Android, etc.) will have problems.

I don't think, Apple will destroy the market, but I'm sure all will get much more expensive, because they will let the firms pay for using the technology, and the firms will get their money back from the customers.

What do you think?

Link to an article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387401,00.asp
Link to the patent: http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Par ... /7,966,578
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:59 pm

My dislike for Apple seems to just keep growing, even though I love my iPod Touch.

The only upside to it that I can see from that article is that

(i) The patent may still be invalidated at some point.

(ii) Apple would have to prove that competitors have copied the finger-gesturing techniques to quite a high degree for them to win in court, which I believe most phones and pads don't because they're just based on the idea.

(iii) The courts could scrap the patent if Apple use it to stifle the market and create a monopoly.

I'm sure Apple aren't going to find it easy to control the market.
Are Apple really going to try and take on Google?
I'd love to see them give Apple a good kicking. ;)

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:27 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:twisted:
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:36 pm

Yeah, it's an old thread.
But this update is worth mentioning, I think:

On September, 9th, a german court "Dsseldorfer Landgericht" confirmed Apple's preliminary injunction, whereupon Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 is too close to the iPad. Samsung was forbidden to sell the Galaxy Tab in germany and even more the court prohibits Samsung to offer any Tablet-PCs with certain characteristics (rectangular shape, rounded edges, flat clear surface, curved back) europe-wide.

There's no english version of the news, I'm afraid. But I summarized it as conscientiously as possible.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:43 pm

"rectangular shape, rounded edges, flat clear surface, curved back"

so should I file a patent on paper that's rectangular, white, and has lines on it to get rich in europe?
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:45 pm

[QUOTE=tulamide]even more the court prohibits Samsung to offer any Tablet-PCs with certain characteristics (rectangular shape, rounded edges, flat clear surface, curved back) europe-wide.
[/QUOTE]

What ?
How could a german court talk/act/legislate for all europe ?
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:42 pm

[QUOTE=Kyatric] [QUOTE=tulamide]even more the court prohibits Samsung to offer any Tablet-PCs with certain characteristics (rectangular shape, rounded edges, flat clear surface, curved back) europe-wide.
[/QUOTE]

What ?
How could a german court talk/act/legislate for all europe ?[/QUOTE]

Because of the EU, they all act like their following the same rules.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:18 pm

[QUOTE=Jayjay] [QUOTE=Kyatric] [QUOTE=tulamide]even more the court prohibits Samsung to offer any Tablet-PCs with certain characteristics (rectangular shape, rounded edges, flat clear surface, curved back) europe-wide.
[/QUOTE]

What ?
How could a german court talk/act/legislate for all europe ?[/QUOTE]

Because of the EU, they all act like their following the same rules.[/QUOTE] That is incorrect.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Gives me another reason to hate Apple.

btw HTC is now suing Apple -

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/the-tables-have-turned-htc-sues-apple/
abhilash28632011-09-12 17:25:29
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:38 pm

I've read that the prohibition to sell the tablet applies only to Germany in one article and in another one that it applies to whole EU. So, where is the truth?
ImageImage
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic