Arcade Server Errors and Suggestions for Improvement

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
7 Errors
$15 USD
7 Errors is a game where you have to find the 7 mistakes before time runs out. Can you find all 7? Have fun looking.
  • Tom & Ashley

I have noticed the arcade server gets a lot of traffic and will at times slow to a halt when uploading or viewing a game and we get 404 and other errors quite frequently which is frustrating to players and designers.

I have notified Tom and he has said he is looking in to the issue and they are aware that the server is probably overloaded and needs an update and server updates are expensive.

I would like to suggest some ways to extend the use of the present server and for Scirra to make additional revenue from the arcade to put towards server updates and maintenance:

1- There are probably many games that never get played after uploaded taking up space. I suggest any games not played after 30 days you notify the game owner that the game will be deleted and then delete. They can update and reupload if it is that important.

2- Limit new game designers without experience points to 5 game uploads. They can replace a game that is not getting played. Limit all game designers to 10 uploads and maybe offer a price service for more than 10 game uploads.

3- Allow paid advertising in the side bars of games. Games advertisements must be created with C2. Allow other paid advertisements for outside games at your discretion.

That would reduce the space used on the server increasing reliability and the extra revenue would allow Scirra to buy servers and do maintenance that keeps the arcade working and popular.

Just my opinion and if there are other suggestions put them in the comments.

• Tom &@Ashley

Another suggestion for additional revenue that would also be a great selling point for game designers that have their own websites.

Let designers put a custom logo on the game upload HTML5 screen that will show on their website.

The screen you have does not entice our followers to try a game as they have no clue what the game is about from this screen and all the games show the same screen which confuses people.

Something like this is how I would like to see my games when someone visits my websites:

That tells my viewers what the game is about before they try it. You could still have a smaller Scirra banner underneath to advertise your Scirra website and products. It would also be great if that could be an animated gif so viewers get a taste of the game in action before starting to play.

It would be great if this was free but I would pay a small fee for allowing me to put a personalized image in my game open screen in place of the Scirra logo and those of us with websites that work like an arcade would probably very much appreciate that.

I hope you will consider this change!

• On the second suggestion you tagged Tam instead of Tom

• On the second suggestion you tagged Tam instead of Tom

Ooops! Thanks I will fix it.

• Think I've finally found the root problem. Yandex search bot was going berserk and indexing ~10,000 pages an hour on the site which is way too many. This was causing an effective DDOS which made pages unresponsive. Am in the process of stopping them crawling, hopefully everything gets more stable going forwards now.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Think I've finally found the root problem. Yandex search bot was going berserk and indexing ~10,000 pages an hour on the site which is way too many. This was causing an effective DDOS which made pages unresponsive. Am in the process of stopping them crawling, hopefully everything gets more stable going forwards now.

Right on Tom!

You probably already know this stuff but I did a little research and this is a great article explaining how to block certain web crawlers like Yandex that might help.

https://searchenginewatch.com/sew/news/2067357/bye-bye-crawler-blocking-parasites

• Tried blocking their IP's and updating robots.txt but didn't work. Had to get our CDN to add manual rules to stop it.

• Tried blocking their IP's and updating robots.txt but didn't work. Had to get our CDN to add manual rules to stop it.

Just wanted to let you know what ever you did worked and upload time is vastly improved and load time for arcade games on Scirra and my website is smooth and fast.

I am still seeing this error occasionally:

It pops up but goes away if you reload the screen and does not seem to effect website play just arcade play.

Thanks for working on the arcade Tom!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)