Are there any C2 games on Steam?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • just curious, I've be searching the forums and haven't found any evidence of any C2 games on Steam. Just wondered if there was how would it be rolled out? Node-webkit I'd assume... anyone have anymore info?

• Mine was just released as an early access title there:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/296870

I used node-webkit to export it, but so far there's no easy way of integrating the steam api on it, and the steam overlay won't work. Apart from that, everything works just fine.

I know that there are others though, IIRC there was a collection of Construct games there.

• wow, congrats!

as a gamer I'm not a huge fan of the Steam overlay. I prefer games that don't use it. I just wanna play my games I really don't want Steam butting in with achievements and knowing how long a play.

However from a dev point of view I don't really know. It could be that the steam achievements, trading cards and all that stuff really gets steam users excited and don't like when games don't add to that.

I was more just curious about how the game is packaged and delivered in steam.

thanks!

• andreyin ...looks like a nice game...congrats on getting your title on Steam! How did you get onto early access? Did you have to get Greenlit first?

• Here is the collection of C2 games on Steam including those in awaiting the Greenlight.

This announcement lists the 5 games I know of that have actually been released on Steam.

andreyin - Congratulations on releasing Dreaming Sarah as early access

zendorf - Yes, Dreaming Sarah was in Greenlight first. After Greenlight developers have the choice of releasing as Early Access or a full release.

• thanks OddConfection for posting that link.. looks like a bunch more are awaiting greenlights.

So to submit to Greenlight the game can be unfinished? that's good to know.

I always wonder why anyone would buy Early Access... to be honest I always skip over them, if I'm on Steam I'm there to play, not play unfinished games. But maybe for the non-devs on Steam it gives them a sense of helping out or like they have a hand in the development.

• zendorf yes, as OddConfection said I had to greenlit it first.

jobel I cant say much about the process of getting the game onto steam because of contractual reasons, but its not a hard process. Theres a dev steam group and step-by-step tutorials that show up when youre greenlit.

I released my game as an early access title because I already had been seeling it as an alpha to make some money to keep working on it, so the earlier the buyers got their Steam keys, the better. Also this way I can study about how Steam works while I still work on the game, instead of having it finished then spending a good month learning about the whole process.

In any case, Im a single person working on this game. Im trying to get any money I can from it so I can keep working on it. I think that most other early access devs feel the same way. IMO its a lot better releasing something in alpha and getting money to keep working on it than cutting everything or making it episodic.

OddConfection Thanks! And thanks for the list!

• jobel

If you want to see some C2 games on Steam, check out my thread here:

• Just chiming in to say that I'd be happy to help with potential Mac OS X and GNU/Linux (32 and 64 bit respectively) ports.

I'm mainly trying to get my name out there, so I'm working for Steam codes, a name in the credits and/or beverage money.

• Im a single person working on this game. Im trying to get any money I can from it so I can keep working on it. I think that most other early access devs feel the same way. IMO its a lot better releasing something in alpha and getting money to keep working on it than cutting everything or making it episodic.

andreyin totally makes sense.. I just meant that some players seem to be totally unforgiving in reviews with unfinished works; they can't bridge the gap and see the potential game it will become. Not everyone of course, but getting any bad review spoils things a bit. Then you have the user reviews coming to the defense of a title, and others jumping on the hate bandwagon. Bottom line, your game now becomes controversy (maybe depending on the price) - which may or may not be good.

My game is in (early) alpha right now. I've just submitted it to an indie games festival (we'll see if they invite me to the showcase in the Fall). I don't think it will win any awards, but I'm hoping to get some feedback and some serious play testing done. Steam Greenlight is on my radar. Just trying to figure out the timing; how an HTML5 game would work on Steam; and what my fellow C2ers have done.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • A bit off topic

Placing a game on greenlight too early can cause it to lose a lot of votes.

As said earlier... people cannot bridge the gap from early stages to its potential.

My game lost a lot of votes due to making this mistake.

The stuff im showing now on greenlight, and the stuff im posting tomorrow / errr well in a few hours are significantly different.

• I don't get how Greenlight works... how do you measure if you're doing well or not? heh

And the 75 games they publish, is that after the game passes a certain threshold of YES votes or is that just Steam staff picking whatever they want, or a combination.

• Forgive my shameless self promotion, but last night I've placed Baxter's Venture: Director's cut on Greenlight.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=274636766

[attachment=0:1mq0clr3][/attachment:1mq0clr3]

While this game is waiting to be Greenlit (no time to determine how long) I'm currently replay-retesting to make sure I've nailed the bugs, reworking the save/load function. It will be exported via node-webkit. I'm not sure if it's mandatory to use Steam's API I don't know how all that works since this is my first game uploaded on their site.

I've read some games get greenlit in a matter of days, some weeks, months even. From my understanding if your games pass muster it's just random. I do believe having a good number of Yes votes determines how fast it goes I think.

• Ldk thanks for sharing this.. a definite valuable lesson! I know when showing friends/colleagues my game, I lose them because I'm focused on what my game is going to be, and they see what it is... it's easy to be blind to that when you are knee-deep in the development stages. I bet it's sometimes better to wait and do a local (in-person) play test before it's out there getting actual reviews that 'set in stone' for everyone to see. Better to "cut your teeth" in private first!

• They don't actually say how the voting works.. I think it's a relative interest in your game that counts. I'm not really sure though.. I think there's probably a review team..

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)