Are you interested in a fighting game tutorial?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A well commented fighting game template to learn from or use as a base for your own game!
  • FINAL UPDATE! FEB-2013 (tutorial was never completed) -If you are interested in

MELEE attack codes take a look to https://www.scirra.com/forum/beat-em-up-platformer-templates_t124000.

-It's a

DIFFERENT PROJECT. That template is NOT the fighting engine.

-There is a tutorial on the tutorial section on a 2D fighting game by another user, you can check that one too)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/103248101/C2FIG ... HTERS.html

NEW FEATURES IN THIS VERSION

*CHARACTER SELECTION (Ryu and Ken only, but easily expandable)

*LIFE BARS, THE FANCY ONES (those that recover if you don't get hit again)

*P1 and P2 indicators if you select the same character for player1 and player2

*WIN/LOSE/DRAW ANIMATIONS

*ROUND INDICATORS (to know how many rounds you have won)

*2-3 ROUND GAMEPLAY, but infinite if you get a draw each time---virtually impossible

*99 SECONDS TIMER

*"STOP-HIT" WHEN HIT (obviously)

*SLOW MOTION WHEN DEFEATED (classic SFII)

so if I didn't messed up with my debug code during exporting, that's what you'll get hahaha

TO-DO for next update... finally start recording the videos... and maybe, in a future, a long future... AI

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE! 0.3 05/02

RYU is gone

2 KEN PLAYABLE CHARACTERS (for testing)

BASIC COLLISION SYSTEM!!!!!! WORKING

TECHNIQUES COLLISIONS (except ShoRyuKen)

BLOCKING

HIT ANIMATION RESPOND TO ATTACK STRENGTH (low mid hi)

"DOUBLE KICK" when hitting the opponent in close distance (we all love that, don't we)

PROPER ANIMATION WHEN "STRONG KICK HIT" FROM CROUCHING

*control P2 with "arrows" and ZXC (punches) and VBN(kicks)

TO-DO for next update...

*fix "STRONG PUNCH HIT" animation/actions

*life bars

*character selection

*and that'll be all

THANKS TO USER SHINKAN FOR THE HINT ON USING FAMILIES

-------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE!

RYU appears... (but just as a dummy)

KEN FACES RYU ALL TIMES (except when is jumping, otherwise will be weird)

TECHNIQUES CAN BE USED BOTH SIDES (facing right and left)

CHARACTERS PUSHES THE OPPONENT WHEN NEAR AND WHEN FALLING FROM JUMP

(a liitle bug when jumping and pressing "D" to be fixed)

*move Ryu with LEFT & RIGHT

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/103248101/C2FIG ... HTERS.html

TO-DO for next update... COLLISIONS!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I'm working on a series of video tutorials on how to make a fighting game, but since it ended up being more complicated than what I though originally, I'd like to know if there are people interested in this... that way I won't waste my time for just one or two people.

This is as far as I got in a day and half, and I'm already over 100 events, so this won't be a basic tutorial...

As my Generic USB gamepad doesn't work in browsers I mapped all the keys to the keyboard:

UP=W DOWN=S LEFT=A RIGHT=D

LOWPUNCH=U MEDPUNCH=I HIGHPUNCH=O

LOWKICK=J MEDKICK=K HIGHKICK=L

MOVEMENTS ACHIEVED SO FAR:

L,M,H PUNCH

L,M,H KICK

L,M,H CROUCHING PUNCH

L,M,H CROUCHING KICK

JUMP, FRONTFLIP, BACKFLIP

JUMPING PUNCH, KICK (only H because I didn't get the sprites for L and M)

CROUCHING

SPECIAL MOVES:

HA-DO-KEN: S-D U/I/O (varies in speed, as it should be)

SHO-RYU-KEN: D-S-D U/I/O PUNCH (same as above, I coudn't do the "diagonal" because it's almost impossible in a keyboard)

TETSUMAKI-TENPUU-KYAKU: S-A J/K/L KICK

AERIAL TETSUMAKI... (DURING JUMP)

I still haven't "touched" the collisions stuff, and of course the combo system, hopefully I'll come up with some ideas..

Just to know, is there any other feature you are interested in? (keep it basic please?)danuyos2013-02-12 08:53:48

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm really impressed. The controls were well done. It felt like I was controlling ken reasonable well. Though I miss dashes :D

I would like a tutorial. I plan to do a fighing game after my current project. I could use some of techniques you have found from your own trial and errors :)

• Hey cool, nice work so far!

I'd like a tutorial on this too! I'm extra interested in mechanics like movement collisions (fighter gets pushed out of the way when the other fighter jumps on him etc).

• danuyos It would be great to see a fighter tutorial. Have you by any chance touched the field of enemy AI yet? I have tried to find some background reading on old fighting games like KoF, Samurai Showdown etc, but information is scarce, to say the least. I imagine it can't be more than an elaborate system of patterns.

• Eisenhans I have no experience in AI, I'm taking care of it at the end, hopefully some more experienced users can contribute as I start posting the videos

• Yes!!! My next game is a 2d side scrolling beat em up so i will definitely need a tutorial on fighting. Im pretty much begging u To make one Haha

• let's make it funny, if this post gets post from 50 different users I'll start recording the videos.. right now I'm struggling figuring out multicharacter selection without duplicating the character's sprites

• Wow! The animations are awesome, I really like this. Probably would help a lot, not just for fighting games.. I'm making a survival horror zombie game and I need to see how to do the attacks, you know, with melee weapons like an axe, because is really "simple" to set up a ranged weapon but not a melee weapon because it doesn't fires bullets :P

• just to be clear, I didn't do the animations, I found them on the internet (ripped from Pocket Fighters or Super Gem Fighters)They have only from ken and Ryu, that's why I using them only as a tutorial.. don't come for me Capcom..

• I would also be interested in a series of tutorials. So good luck if you decide to make them.

• jayderyu ErekT Eisenhans NotionGames devMidgard danny

Does any of you know how to create an instance and put it into a family during runtime? I also tried rex_rainbow Nickname plugin (create..and put into family...) but it is not working

I'm using C2 r116 64 bits

• You can't. Families are an edit time created component about shared behaviours and variables. if you need an object to have the behaviour before hand give them the values or put them in a family in edit time.

If you mention what your trying to achieve we might be able to offer some alternative solutions.

• for example creating KEN for family=P1 and family=P2. Since all the code interacts between families P1 and P2 (instead to the sprite object) no matter which character I select (Ryu, Ken, etc) I can use the same code and sprites.

If i cant achieve that I think I'll have to create all the charcters P1, then duplicate them for P2 and do the interactions between P1 and P2, for each P1 and P2

Imagine 10 characters, about 2 Mb of animations... 20 Mb

duplicating for P2... +20 Mb...... 40 Mb just in sprites

not to mention the hard work of coding

• Why do you need two families for that?

You could make text variable for family ie. "playerselect" and set it to Player1 or Player2 whenever you need to set character to specific player.

And to avoid code repetition You can use Function object - it's a life saver :)

• danuyus. Would you be interested in joining me to make a smash brothers like game? PM me if you're interested.

I've got plenty of foundations set out, and ideas of how to make it work great on mobile with touch controls. I also found an artist. I'll tell you more in private though ;)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)