Attempting to rebuild my Metroid-like in C2. ?'s!

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:06 pm

C2's physics behavior is a bit cpu intensive for anything but the desktop.
Perhaps you might take a look at the platform behavior before you try to reinvent the wheel.newt2013-08-05 14:06:39
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:50 pm

@Newt

C2's Physics behavior works just fine on any platform.
I have an Android game running 30,000 collision checks a second at like 500 iterations and it runs smooth as butter on a phone.

Maybe you just haven't tried it recently? : o Could have been a lot worse before.

I'm sure it will work just fine for a few objects in a platformer.

@twotimingpete
No, Custom Movement is something else. There's a behavior called Physics. That "includes" the object into the Physics world and into the calculations.

Also what Newt said about platform behavior.

Also I suggest you start looking into the tutorials and the manual since Construct 2 does most thing you ask of, apart from Tile Editor.Xionor2013-08-05 14:59:51
B
S

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:42 pm

so "families" are basically collision groups, I see.

just the one more question for now.. why won't my sprites collide with eachother? I tried putting the "solid" behavior on them both, and the character still falls through the "tile" after I set up a gravity force.
B

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Objects with Physics don't interact with Non-Physics object in any shape, way or form. That is by design.

You have to make your Tile a Physics object too and make it Unmovable. That means its permanently placed there with infinite mass.Xionor2013-08-05 16:12:11
B
S

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:21 pm

Oh, I see that. But how do I make it unmoveable? I don't see that behavior, if it is one.

And just in case you think I'm COMPLETELY incapable of learning on my own, I did figure out how to call a subroutine.. in stencyl I'd frequently execute actions or sequences by setting up "custom events" (static sections of commands that don't do anything unless called). I was trying to figure out a way to do this in C2 and I think I figured it out.

I made a subgroup to see what it does. I saw that you can turn them on or off. They keep firing if on, though, every frame. So inside of the subgroup I made it turn itself off. Seems to work for firing, one time, a section of code with a command.
twotimingpete2013-08-05 16:27:27
B

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Click on the object itself in the layout editor and on the left side you can set Unmovable to Yes. You can also call it as an action.

Checking of Group "poop" is active is redundant, as the event won't run if the Group isn't active : )

If you want to run an event only once you can use a Trigger, or just put "Trigger once" at the end of it.

Really start reading the manual and doing the tutorials, you're starting to ask incoherent and easy things. They will lead you through the mechanics in the program : )
B
S

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:43 pm

It's not redundant, because I'm executing those things in the group if the group is active, and I'm controlling whether the group is active by the button press.

Still looking for this "trigger once" business. Don't kill me.

edit: figured it out.

and take it easy on me. I'm a moron. but I try really hard. I learn better by doing and asking questions than trying to read manuals. but the end result is I have a lot to offer in terms of game development (IMO).

one last thing.. is this the way to base a condition on if an object's boolean is false?

I didn't see any direct way to check if a boolean is false (it only seems to check if it's true).twotimingpete2013-08-05 16:59:00
B

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:02 pm

Checking if the Group is active inside the Group is redundant.

If the Group isn't active none of the checks inside the group would run to begin with.

You're only checking if the Group is active, while it's active. That makes no sense.
It's like writing "If X=1 , check if X=1".

To check for the Opposite/Inverted stament, right click it and click Inverted : )
B
S

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:34 pm

You don't want the physics behavior for your player or anywhere in your game from the looks of it. It's meant for like...angry birds. Use the platform behavior. C2's built-in behaviors, unlike many other programs, are actually pretty good and reliable.

As for your world, look into the TMX Importer, AJAX, and project files. You'll have to load your rooms dynamically using data from a pre-existing minimap that you can also create in Tiled or your own editor.

Start small man, you've got a long way to go.

(Great graphics btw. Also looks like a really cool MMX/Metroid hybrid.)MadFactory2013-08-05 18:42:05
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Just wanted to say I saw your youtube video for Ghost Song awhile ago and it's great to see you moving to C2. I also have a metroidvania game in development and C2 has been awesome to work with.

Using tiles isn't that bad. You just can't use texture sheets. I use a mix of big graphics and tiles, and it seems to work well for me. Add your tiling graphics to the tile object and add your detail textures to the sprite object in frames.

I also recommend using the platform behavior over physics and C2s built in behaviors as much as possible.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to How do I....?