AUGH crazy amounts of spam

If you have found a bug, or have a suggestion/comment then leave it here

Post » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:40 pm

@Arima yes I once spotted a guest named "Yahoo" and beside it the word "Bot", so there are bots & Spammer, also people who make advertisement for an Arabic series & before the world cup. ( I understand since I Speak arabic ) :lol: , but yes alot of spammers & lot of troubles. I warned some of them but guess they don't care
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Don't bother warning spammers, they definitely don't care and their threads will get deleted anyways, so doing so just wastes your time. Just report the post and move on.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:25 pm

There was a lot of spam today, like an entire page almost:

download/file.php?mode=view&id=4083

This is getting insane, I wonder how that should be solved, since I am guessing real humans people are involved into those posts (that or there is a big leak in the system)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:38 pm

Have to agree. Getting real sick of hitting 'Report'.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:48 pm

If you look at the time frame of the spam, they are all really close, so perhaps it is indeed the attack of the bots.

Some might not like this idea, but how about using an authentication process for posting if you do not have at least 1 silver medal, or 5 bronze medal, time been a member......or something like that.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:41 pm

Authentifications can be countered by human means, and will be even more annoying (there are already people complaining about the current system)
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:01 pm

May I humbly suggest implementing a system to check new account and poster IP addresses against the data contained in a free service like this one (linked below) if one is not already being used?

Stop Forum Spam

If you're already using their services then I'll get my coat.... :)
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:16 pm

That's a thought... @Tom have you tried the type of service listed above? I wonder if checking the emails against the list would be more effective than ips though. Or maybe both?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:47 pm

rekjl wrote:If you look at the time frame of the spam, they are all really close, so perhaps it is indeed the attack of the bots.

Some might not like this idea, but how about using an authentication process for posting if you do not have at least 1 silver medal, or 5 bronze medal, time been a member......or something like that.

I agree with this idea. Have a capcha for people under a certain rep count, when you reach it the capcha is removed.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:09 am

Aphrodite wrote:Authentifications can be countered by human means, and will be even more annoying (there are already people complaining about the current system)

Yes, that's true. Haha I really do hate the authentication process that requires you to enter a set of letters and numbers that are so badly mashed together that even humans are having problem understanding. There is one type that is quite easy, the jigsaw puzzle type where you just need to put the pictures together. It is quite simple and amazingly not annoying (to me that is). But if it can be countered, than all of this is indeed meaningless.

There is another way, I notice that some forums implement this. Every first post by a new member, is not shown live immediately. It is reviewed by a moderator for that section before being approved to go live. This should stop the spam quite effectively........but will mean a lot of work for the moderators though.

Ethan wrote:I agree with this idea. Have a capcha for people under a certain rep count, when you reach it the capcha is removed.

It would definitely help, but if as Aphrodite mentioned that there are now ways to counter this, than it might not be enough to save us from the spammers.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Website Issues and Feedback