Automapping Layouts to a pause screen map

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:45 pm

Tokinsom wrote:Got yer message. I'll take a peek after installing r203. For what it's worth, I recommend making the mini-map by hand in a global layer, and tracking each cell or room with a dictionary; procedurally generated maps are better suited for roguelikes and such, and can be quite limiting if not using external room files.

I also recommend you not use separate layouts for each room. I know I did this in my ZM Engine but that was before 'recreate initial instances', rendering cells, and certain optimizations were made. You can now create entire areas in single layouts if you're smart about it. You also wouldn't have to keep up a world reference elsewhere.

Thanks, for taking a look and the recommendation about putting it on a global layer, I might try that later.

As for using procedurally generated maps, I choose it because I'd want to save time instead of having to redesign the map every-time I make a change to the game map. Not to mention I haven't created the full map yet. And I want to be able to use my .capx for other games with minimal modifying such things.

As for the world reference, I only have a reference on the doors so the game knows where to go next, unless you meant exactly that as in all the values for the variables. Dunno, using layouts just saves me the work of having set up events to delete all the enemies when the player exits a room, setting up the camera to not go beyond the rooms. I'm still fairly green to game design so I'm just trying out what's easiest and this has been working out for me so far.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:18 pm

Tokinsom wrote:I also recommend you not use separate layouts for each room. I know I did this in my ZM Engine but that was before 'recreate initial instances', rendering cells, and certain optimizations were made. You can now create entire areas in single layouts if you're smart about it. You also wouldn't have to keep up a world reference elsewhere.

I kept thinking about this so I decided to give it a go, it's going fairly well so far.
As for render cells, do the colliding objects need to be on the same layer?
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:53 pm

@Tokinsom

Now that I've spent a couple hours on doing it the one layout way:
Room transitions are much better, Enemies seem to do double damage, Can't get the pause screen to work in a global layer, it either becomes visible and pauses the game, but then can't unpause, or does nothing. I think I'm going to stick with per room layouts for this game, although my next project I will look at using one layout. Currently it's a huge amount of work to convert the game to work in one layout, bugs just pop out of every event.

Did you get a chance to look at the .capx?
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:29 pm

@Tokinsom
@megatronx

I gave using one layout another go, I got the auto-mapper working! Looks like I'll be using one layout for the game area, thanks a lot for the advice @Tokinsom , not only that but I get to use the cool transition I had when I started the project :D

Thanks a ton for the help guys!

Banned User
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General