Automatic Systems

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:30 am

MadameBerry, I think you hit it right on the spot as to why it's not working.

I'm going to try a Pick Nearest for the family and see if that works.

By the way, I checked out your blog and read your Kickstarter thread. Sorry to hear it didn't go well, but the lessons learned are invaluable since I plan to launch my own Kickstarter after the Newgrounds C2 game jam.
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:50 am

Well, I tried Pick Nearest, did the inverted thing, and neither are working.

I have no idea why the shields sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Excal2013-04-21 04:28:48

B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:03 am

Hm... I'm getting multiple different things that work. For instance, this works, as well as inverting the "less than or equal" value.

I think what may be happening is that it always calculates from the origin point of the object, so even though the edge of the object is 82 pixels away, the center is still more than that, so it won't turn on.
You mentioned you'd accounted for the radius of the shield, but I think you need to also add the radius of the object you're detecting for, which may be difficult if the objects in your family are different sizes. You may need to either detect different radiuses separately (which unfortunately means not using a family), or just go with the largest radius and have the shield turn on earlier than normal sometimes.

Edit: Thanks for checking out my blog!
And yeah, kickstarter can be a hard market. I think we may try again though. To be honest, our campaign wasn't great the first time around, we didn't present anything nearly well enough. Good luck on your own when it comes!MadameBerry2013-04-21 07:05:59
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:44 am

@MadameBerry: This solved it, thank you! For some odd reason I didn't think about the size of the object!

Where are you going to school? I graduate in Fall 2014 too, haha.

B
S
G

Previous

Return to How do I....?