Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:53 am

The 3D in this movie is a more TRUE 3D... not the anaglyph style red/blue or magenta/green lens 3D. It uses a polarized 3D enhancement, which means you don't get those weird colours in the movie from the lens filters, and you also get a dynamic depth of field, so if you move your head the image shifts (paralaxes) as if it were real life.

Also, the technology they used to make this movie was epic. Most of it was developed and made specifically for this movie and has set some new cornerstones for future films (like the matrix circular camera thing). They use a special camera with a realtime processor of the 3D models that overlay onto the actor in REALTIME, so as they are being filmed they appear "in character" while in reality they are on a green screen wearing a leotard with balls stuck to their body.

Personally, I can't wait to go see this film... even if it sucks (which I seriously doubt that it will) I will still respect it for several reasons. Also, the video game takes place before the movie to help understand the whole plot... so go play the game even if you have seen the film already.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:45 pm

I saw it yesterday and yes it's awesome. And there's waaaay more than "flashy visuals". I believe Cameron has another hit in his hands (you forgot to name Titanic... while not sci-fi, it was a big big hit).

[quote="SoldjahBoy":cfiso4av]They use a special camera with a realtime processor of the 3D models that overlay onto the actor in REALTIME[/quote:cfiso4av]
Holy crap! That explains how they moved so naturally!
Also, I was very glad to see the actress that portrays Grace :) I didn't read or watch anything about the movie before seeing it, and I'm glad I did that.

The game, though, I heard was pretty repetitive and glitchy :P
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:48 pm

lucid,
thanks for screenshots. But the real girl is better than the neytiri. Nevertheless, yes, Cameron is the master of such movie. Impressive!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:45 pm

[quote="Yaraslau":1fw6tt0m]lucid,
thanks for screenshots. But the real girl is better than the neytiri. [/quote:1fw6tt0m]

no problem

and for me personally, I'd much rather have neytiri than the actress who played her
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:49 pm

Real thing's always better than CGI ;)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:52 am

[quote="Madster":1lxcb0je]I saw it yesterday and yes it's awesome. And there's waaaay more than "flashy visuals". [/quote:1lxcb0je]

Like what? :P
I've seen the movie. In case that wasn't clear in my earlier post. And I really don't think it has anything else to offer. It's like a remake of Pocahontas with big blue aliens. It's also more of a flick for women actually than a fullblown action spectacle. Been there, done that. All the characters scream cliche... so apart from an impressive use of 3d technique, in my book Avatar sucks.

[quote="Madster":1lxcb0je]Real thing's always better than CGI ;)[/quote:1lxcb0je]
Agreed. 8)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:14 pm

[quote="lucid":339a2fom]and for me personally, I'd much rather have neytiri than the actress who played her[/quote:339a2fom]

...and her name is ...? :wink:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:06 pm

I thought it was awesome. Its one of those movies that aims to be something and achieves it nicely. I found it very immersive, and while the ending was predictable its nice to have a happy ending rather than a kind of 'heroic sacrifice' ending once in a while. And as for the action theres heaps...dragon things grabbing a helicopter and throwing it into another helicopter...lots of explosions and stuff...the only part I found annoying was early on in the movie when the main character (in avatar form) was being attacked by the creature and the camera was all shacky and stuff...in 3d its really friggin annoying coz u cant focus fast enough. Also, despite being 3d, a lot of scenes they used focus which meant if you tried to look at the foreground it was blury...but yeah as far as 3d movies go this has probably been the best.

Also people who complain the plot isn't deep enough are the same kinda people who say the plot in Transformers 2 wasn't deep enough...who friggin cares! Everyone complained Transformers 1 was too much about humans and too much 'drama' so they made Transformers 2 more about robots fighting each other (which we all want...its not meant to be a chick flick!) and yet people still complained :P Saying its a bad movie is like playing a really awesome game with great graphics, awesome animation and fun enjoyable gameplay, then rating it '0' because you hate platform games :P
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:08 am

[quote="David":3at67hy5]the only part I found annoying was early on in the movie when the main character (in avatar form) was being attacked by the creature and the camera was all shacky and stuff[/quote:3at67hy5]
Yeah in this part I was thinking they really should be doing 60fps AT LEAST instead of freaking 24. My poor PC-trained eyes can't take it anymore!

About plot depth..... so I take you missed the underlying comment on expansionism, the dominating economic model, indigenous people and the inevitability of it all?

Let me throw you some quotes (by memory) on that:

-They don't want anything we can give them (Grace, regarding humans giving gifts in exchange for land)
-They think they cannot be stopped (regarding humans taking the land by force after negotiations failed)

But yeah, happy hollywood ending kind of kills the message. Perhaps there's an alternate UK ending? :P
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:14 am

[quote="Madster":c37a9mki]
But yeah, happy hollywood ending kind of kills the message. Perhaps there's an alternate UK ending? :P[/quote:c37a9mki]

LMAO!!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic