Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:25 am

Okay, I just saw this movie and yes, it is awesome.

About the plot:
It's everything people say it is, which is to say it's cliched and predictable. But what nobody has said so far is that it's not insultingly so, and I think that is what people who haven't seen the movie might be expecting. It doesn't try to trick you into thinking that it's something more than it is... it just is.

It's kind of like Die Hard. Yeah, the Bruce Willis movie where John McClane runs around Nakatomi Plaza in his bare feet shooting bad guys and pissing off Severus Snape. Uh, I mean Hans Gruber. It's totally cliched from beginning to end... but it's not pretentious. It doesn't claim to be anything more than a kick-ass popcorn action movie. You can just sit back and enjoy it for what it is and not have to worry about it.

Avatar was pretty much the same sort of thing. It's just a cool action adventure movie, and since you already know what's going to happen then you can just kick back and go along for the ride.

About the visuals:
Way better than I expected. People keep saying that they're really, really good, but I couldn't imagine exactly how good without seeing it for myself. A friend of mine told me something that I think puts it best... he said it wasn't like you were watching CG, but rather that these were real blue people. The uncanny valley is gone. It was utterly convincing in a way that I can't describe. And the actors playing these blue people are actually pretty good, so bonus.

Unfortunately, I saw it in 3D. I haven't seen a 3D movie since the days of red and blue glasses, so I didn't know what to expect. I'd heard the new 3D was way more improved over the old style, so I figured what the hell. Honestly, it was just distracting and I wish I'd seen it in 2D. Also, the indoor scenes with actual human actors gave me a bit of a headache because the 3D wasn't as on point as it should have been and was kind of a blurry mess. But the outdoor, fully CG scenes were fine. They looked a lot better and didn't hurt my eyes. I guess maybe full 3D render translates better to 3D glasses or something. Anyway, while they were relatively pain-free that doesn't mean that the 3D was mind-blowing or anything. In fact, there were only a few scenes where the 3D was really impressive. The rest of the time it was either hardly noticeable or distracting on the verge of being annoying.

Anyway, it's good so go see it. But see it in 2D, because the 3D thing is overrated.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:50 am

I haven't (and most of my friends) seen the movie. Since the premiere on 17th of December, it's been sold out in all cinemas close to my home and until yesterday even 2D version!!! WTF? There are always few seats left, but who wants to sit by toilets. I hope it won't disappoint me because I'm overhyped right now :)
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:33 pm

[quote="The Wall Street Journal":30irfbqu]"Avatar" was Mr. Cameron's first film since 1997's "Titanic," the biggest modern blockbuster, bringing in $1.8 billion world-wide. He is the only filmmaker to direct two movies that have topped $1 billion. Along with "Titanic," the other movies to hit that mark are "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" at $1.13 billion, "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" at $1.06 billion and "The Dark Knight" at a fraction over $1 billion, according to box-office tracker Hollywood.com."[/quote:30irfbqu]
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:42 pm

[quote="deadeye":2b5tn7v2] Also, the indoor scenes with actual human actors gave me a bit of a headache because the 3D wasn't as on point as it should have been and was kind of a blurry mess. But the outdoor, fully CG scenes were fine.

[....] because the 3D thing is overrated.[/quote:2b5tn7v2]

Did you see it in IMAX 3D or real D? I think IMAX looks better and is less blurry. than again, I could have imagined it...

[ps:]

My brother pointed out to me that the story is the same as The Last Samurai. haha it's more accurate than Pocahontas I think...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:08 pm

I saw it in Real D. IMAX is expensive, man :P. It could very well be better though, I have no idea how good the IMAX 3D is.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:02 pm

IMAX is the oldest and lowest quality 3d
real-d is better
dolby 3d is the best
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:21 am

I saw it in Real-D too.

The human scenes have more depth to them in general, and there's this thing when 3D images are too deep and approach the paralell-eye position... and if you're seated in the wrong place it goes beyond paralell eyes and that hurts both eyes and brain.
PC 3-D drivers had calibration for this same reason. To minimize this effect you gotta sit real far from the screen. It also depends on how the projectors are set up so it varies from theater to theater.

about blur, 60fps and "more real".... 24fps has more motion blur to preserve the illusion of movement. Reality has less motion blur than 24fps film, as you'll know it's quite sharp (unless you have eye problems). Really, the only bad thing about 60fps is that it is not 24fps.

Human eye perception hovers just above 100fps, I've read. How they measured that I have no idea.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:24 pm

B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:17 pm

http://www.3dnews.ru/editorial/iavatari_sozdanie_filma/ - part 1
http://www.3dnews.ru/editorial/iavatari ... index2.htm - part 2.

Very well-written text about CG and creation of Avatar. In Russian. English speaking users can look at photos (self-explaining).
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic