Ball Game Of Doom (impending)

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Darkest Doom - retro FPS style hifi soundtrack, melodic electronic metal
  • Here's a quick sample of a game I'm working on in it.. inspired by my old flash game (yet to be finished...) The point though is to show off the concept, and not so much the game... But since something's playable...

Features the physics engine and 3d box...

Here, play it, have fun for the short, short time it lasts...(I cut out the new stuff I've been working on since that part was complete...)

It uses shaders for some nice effects (removed one that made the grass look fuzzy due to it being extremely slow on 3d objects...) But it will turn off when not available and the goal is to make the game look great regardless...

http://pnmhq.com/ssb/ballgame.rar

Screenshots so far: (Linked because they stretched too much...)

http://pnmhq.com/ssb/screen1.png

http://pnmhq.com/ssb/screen2.png

The main reason for the release was various people were having problems running it, most of them on Vista...

One such error is error to load plugin 7.csx

Anyway, the concept, well, experiment of this game is to have the game gradually build itself up as you play it. As you'll see, you start off with a black screen, gradually more stuff comes in, and as the game advances (this part will be tweaked as well), not only will the visuals advance, the abilities and control over your ball you'll have. At start (from the moment you start the game) you can only move left and right and have to use the environment to help you, but gradually, you'll be able to have more control over your ball, including having a jump and boost feature...

So, comments? Criticism? Cookies?

• The concept of a fun, fluid, lighthearted physics platformer with 3D elements totally reminds me of Little Big Planet. Did you see the videos for that? It's not come out for PS3 yet...

Subscribe to Construct videos now

I really like the credits sequence concept. But don't really have anything else to say. It's neat. Are you making all the graphics yourself?

• I agree with Vrav, it's a pretty neat concept. Some of the obstacles could use some refining, like the dominoes, but I'm sure you'll have all that sorted out when you start getting into making the full game.

I'd like to see some chain-reaction type puzzles in this, where you have to work through complex puzzles like a Rube Goldberg device or something. Something with multiple steps, like you have to a push a box onto a teeter-totter, push another onto the other end, launch the first one to a higher platform to knock over some dominoes which then flips a switch to open a door, or something like that.

I also really dig the opening credits. Very creative. The only thing I really didn't like about the game was the song. Have your friend do a mix with no voice samples...

ATOMIC

ENERGY

EVERYWHERE

DEET DEET DOOT

Ew

• Um, just one more thing about the music, now that I think about it...

If you're going to go with more technoey sounding music, then the nature theme for the background graphics really doesn't fit. I'd either go with a more industrialish or futurey style of art and ditch the wood textures, or switch to music that's a little more mellow and soothing to fit with the forest imagery.

Edit:

Sorry for the double-post.

• Heh, glad you like it so far... Don't worry, I'm planning some complex puzzles... They're just not ready yet...

Yeah, I'm going to change the music... I really just plugged something random in, since when I made games in the past, I usually let the music define the way the level was designed and the direction of the artwork and such...

All the graphics I made except for the background... I got lazy there... Even then, I have to find an image I can use that has a license I know I can use... (I lost the info on this image somehow... I think it was fine to use...) I was planning on either taking a picture for that, or drawing... We'll see...

• This is really really good

• Unfortuantly, I broke Construct and it broke the cap of the new levels I made for it... (1.5GB WOOT!!!)

But that doesn't matter too much... I needed to have a better system of events anyway... (one sheet for generic movement core, included into all layouts...)

• Unfortuantly, I broke Construct and it broke the cap of the new levels I made for it... (1.5GB WOOT!!!)

But that doesn't matter too much... I needed to have a better system of events anyway... (one sheet for generic movement core, included into all layouts...)

That sucks

But you can rebuild it. You have the technology.

• I like that a lot! That's really cool. Of course, my all time favorite game has been Marble Blast Ultra on the 360, this pleasantly reminds me of that if it were 2.5d.

I half expected to have a jump button. Doesn't matter, was fun anyway.

I see a lot of potential for effects that could impact gameplay. Perhaps a level that changes to have a giant thunderstorm, making slopes dangerous or leading to crazy sonic-the-hedgehog-style speed sections.

• Thanks. Don't worry, I'm planning for the game to get more dynamic as you go along... Jump is only a few stages away... Well, it is again anyway...

Including something I got working recently that I'm going to have to try hard to hold off on putting in the game until it's really time for it...

• That bug happened to me too, I had an asteroids project file that was 2.7 GB in size.

• That bug happened to me too, I had an asteroids project file that was 2.7 GB in size.

Wow that kind of sucks... any tips on how to avoid it? The last thing I need is to end up with 50% of a game then break it like that...

Also, once I get home I will download this game... the screenshots don't look like much, but it's all about gameplay and not graphics as I so frequently remind a lot of the younger generation these days... looks like a neat idea!

• I have no idea. It only happened to me once, but that might be because of my really short attention span - Asteroids was the only game I finished this far, haha.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Nice! I like it!

• I think 0.94 will have fixed inflating filesizes - let me know.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)