Barbarian platform game

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Orc or Barbarian Buildings for Isometric Games. Includes 8 Buildings.
  • An early prototype of a new game I'm working on (unnamed at this stage).

It's a Barbarian themed action platformer.. initially mostly inspired by the Black Tiger arcade game. My character artwork started out looking more like Black Tiger, but I've since changed back to the style shown below. Im not sure what I prefer.. still deciding.

The main intended platform will be mobile.

Goals for the game:

• In game currency: Im hoping to make a system where the player can collect coins to purchase new weapons, health, powerups maybe armor etc.
    • A variety of different enemies: patrolling, chasing, static turrets, shooters, flying.
    • Several bosses.
    • Probably three different environments (I'm thinking Orc Mountains, Skeleton's Graveyard, Dungeons something like that).
    • Im not sure how many levels yet.
  • Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Looks really nice Artpunk. I love the particle gore. The dude does look a bit naked though...

• Hey man thanks. Yeah the character design isnt finalised yet. I just gave him a conan-style loincloth for the moment. The idea I have is the player starts off bare chested, then as you go on you collect armour and helmets and things. I guess I should make his undies stand out more so he doesnt look completely nude

• Perhaps at the end there could be a flagpole and instead of grabbing onto it mario style, he just hacks it down?

• Hello, nice artwork, the animation from the goblin atacking is awesome. I didn't like the jump animation, looks static, maybe with more frames showing more the movement but this is just my opinion.

Keep going

• Perhaps at the end there could be a flagpole and instead of grabbing onto it mario style, he just hacks it down?

Hehe sounds good Maybe checkpoints through the game that must be triggered by hacking them down. Im planning to have plenty of crates and boxes lying around that the player can smash up to release coins. Also, maybe smashable walls that can lead to secret areas.

Hello, nice artwork, the animation from the goblin atacking is awesome. I didn't like the jump animation, looks static, maybe with more frames showing more the movement but this is just my opinion.

Keep going

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't totally settled on the artstyle for the game yet. Im not 100% happy with the character or the enviroment artwork. Ill look at the characters jump animation to see if I can make it more interesting, and the colours for the environment are a bit boring, I need to liven it up somehow.

• Looks nice! Interesting project. I like that you gonna have upgrades and such. Is there going to be any other RPG elements like stats Level up etc?

• Looks nice! Interesting project. I like that you gonna have upgrades and such. Is there going to be any other RPG elements like stats Level up etc?

I think having player stats and levelling up would be cool, but its probably adding more complexity than Id like for this project. A currency system and weapons / armour upgrades will be challenging enough for me.. and adding those features will still represent a decent improvement over my first game (Cluckles).

• Heres a mockup showing some updated artwork.

-Updated character design (gave him some armour).

-Improved tileset colours.

-Made a better background (2 layer parallax)

-Added dummy ui elements (player lives, coins, pause)

The UI elements are just static sprites at this point to see if it looks any good. I havent set up the events for the player health or currency system.

I think the character looks better with armour... Im not sure if I want to make the armour up-gradable because it will be be tricky managing animations for different sets of armour. Im still thinking about what to do there...

• haha, very nice.

• Artpunk Looks fantastic! Nice job, it's like you have taken the best parts from cluckles adventures and added a whole new dimension and depth. Looking forward to see more

• haha, very nice.

hehe I still need to improve the jump animation like you suggested.

Artpunk Looks fantastic! Nice job, it's like you have taken the best parts from cluckles adventures and added a whole new dimension and depth. Looking forward to see more

Hey Anonnymitet , yeah I am totally building on Cluckles. I started with the last build of Cluckles and swapped out the artwork and soon Ill try to build in some additional features like currency and an inventory for weapons / items.

Im thinking I can build a series of mobile platform games, all with different themes and slightly different gameplay mechanics etc. Hopefully I can build up a portfolio.

• Artpunk I love the looks of the game. I cant wait untill its finished. Just 1 question how did you get the blood destroying effects when the player hist the enemy?

• Artpunk I love the looks of the game. I cant wait untill its finished. Just 1 question how did you get the blood destroying effects when the player hist the enemy?

Hi LaurenceBedford thats using particle effects. I have a couple of different particle effects for blood when enemy is hit, and an additional green one when enemy is destroyed. Ill probably update these a bit down the track.

• Like Cluckles' Adventure which I bought on steam recently .Did you do it all by yourself? I mean the graphic you used looks awesome ! I really like it and BTW did you used C2 or C3 on making this ?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)