Base resolution for year 2015

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:03 am

I think it's premature to design 4K games. Some systems shipping with 4K displays today don't have a powerful enough GPU to run a game at full resolution - a single force-own-texture layer could use all the fillrate you have left. I'd stick to designing assets for 1080p. Low-quality fullscreen mode is the easiest way to save fillrate, and adding an in-game option to enable it should allow your 4K gamers with underpowered GPUs to get by.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:59 am

@tunepunk I'm pretty sure draw calls are directly tied to how many sprites/objects are being drawn (on screen, visible). To reduce pixels per second, just... think about how many pixels are being drawn, I guess? i.e. a full screen overlay, or a layer with 'force own texture' will draw window width*window height pixels.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:20 am

I've never gone beyond 720 because I think for my case, it wasn't necessary at all. I am using vector style graphics, and in all honesty the visible difference is quite small from 720 to 1280. If you are using painting style or art with lots of fine details, the difference will be much more obvious. So depending on your art style and impression your want the player to feel, you'll need to decide on whether the cost of higher graphics vs performance will provide the most enjoyable gaming experience for your player.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:35 pm

Ashley wrote:I think it's premature to design 4K games. Some systems shipping with 4K displays today don't have a powerful enough GPU to run a game at full resolution - a single force-own-texture layer could use all the fillrate you have left. I'd stick to designing assets for 1080p. Low-quality fullscreen mode is the easiest way to save fillrate, and adding an in-game option to enable it should allow your 4K gamers with underpowered GPUs to get by.

This right here. It happens as a trade off, to sell more by the wow factor instead of actual functionality.

*ERMAGERD!! Quadcore snapdragon 2.8MHZ with 4K resolution and 6Gigs of RAM and NVidia GPU!!!! *

GPU is the lowest end Nvidia has for phones. Poor Snapdragon nearly spontaneously combusts trying to push even 2K rez. Phone is at dangerous heat level. Battery goes from 100% to 4% in 5.3 seconds.

Phone manufacturer: Its our most powerful, long battery life phone ever!

:roll:
B
S

Post » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:53 pm

@Ashley thanks for that answer, it does make sense, only thing is: are you suggesting to include two sets of sprites? One low res and one high res?

@Jermfire That's a pretty generic comment, most new generation phone are actual capable of displaying 4k content, some phone even record video in 4k..
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General