Basic Math For Quasi-Realistic Space Games

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
2D realistic cloud pack has 11 different clouds included.
  • Hello All!

I have been a big fan of space games since playing the original Star Control and Star Control 2 back in their heyday. With a little help from these forums, I was able to recreate a pretty similar quasi-realistic movement scheme that utilizes the physics object and a little original math to form a very controllable method of moving sprites with inertia. In the hopes that others (in addition to the project I have planned) can also make good use of this, I decided to upload it for everyone to enjoy and use.

http://www.2shared.com/file/4177110/23d5774e/test.html

Art: Sprites are from the internet. Other art is made by me.

Controls:

Up arrow = Apply thrust

Left/Right arrows = turn left/right

Enter = Turn inertia on/off

*Note*

Being a pretty massive beginner in programming as well as to using construct, my timedeltas may be a bit wrong. If so, please let me know so that I can fix them. Thanks!

• Does this link work?

• yes it does.

Go all the way to the bottom , right hand side is the link.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Since you mentioned SC2 I was expecting Earthling Cruiser insted of this unknown ship ^^. I'm sure you can grab some sprites from TimeWarp.

This engine's really good. Are you going to reprocude full functionality of SC2 Hyper-Melee fighting? It'd be nice if there was planet as well. And it's good to think about limiting maximal velocity = sqrt(velX^2 + velY^2) instead of limiting velX and velY separately.

• Good call on those timewarp sprites. Those would work wonderfully for testing out more of the engine. I am intending to make a full function hypermelee style fighting system, albit with more of my own ship designs than ones from any of the SC games. As much as I love the SC ship designs, I dont want to rip them off TOOOO much. The planet will be added later, as I figure out more on how to make it work properly. I will also try that new block of code. That should work a lot better.

• reminded me of Swarm, that game was amazing, you guys should try it if u havnt

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)