Battle Cry

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:34 pm

The artwork is being done in Photoshop and my animation is done in Flash.
Check out my projects Quest Board! Pixel Disk
B
S

Post » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:32 am

I exported some of the animations as a gif, just so you can have a closer look. except the quality is not as good sorry about that. I'll try to re-export them again later.

B
S

Post » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:24 pm

[QUOTE=elitezore] I exported some of the animations as a gif, just so you can have a closer look. except the quality is not as good sorry about that. I'll try to re-export them again later.

[/QUOTE]

I was just wondering how your able to come up with the movement frames when animating your characters? Do you outline it as stick figures first then draw over the stick figures, or do you have another way of doing this? Its very fluent and looks well-made, got any tips?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:03 am

The animations are done with adobe flash, the concept behind it is very easy. every character is cut up into pieces and then rigged to a bone system, the hard part is making it Not look like card board cut outs. so I make subtle movements and make some custom frames when needed, like when the shield is facing the camera or on his side.

I'm linking a video which shows an example of the bone system at work.

Hero Animation Test
B
S

Post » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:21 am

[QUOTE=elitezore] The animations are done with adobe flash, the concept behind it is very easy. every character is cut up into pieces and then rigged to a bone system, the hard part is making it Not look like card board cut outs. so I make subtle movements and make some custom frames when needed, like when the shield is facing the camera or on his side.

I'm linking a video which shows an example of the bone system at work.

Hero Animation Test[/QUOTE]

That's pretty cool, must have tooken quite some time to physically draw those sprites especially with those details. I was just wondering where you were able to learn your art skills? I'll be looking into vector art soon, but I really like your style of art, is there a name for it?

And also have you heard of spriter? It features similar functions to adobe flash and also comes with png export, or you can set your spriter image as a scml object in Construct 2, but personally I would rather stick with the png export for now. I think in general spriting,art and animation is something I'll research on soon and watching that video was fairly helpful so thanks for posting retrodude2013-04-11 06:23:22
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:27 am

@elitezore
wow that is amazing,you make it look so easy..is the bone system in the program? would you say flash is the best to use for animations? or is there equivalent software? I'm trying spriter, but can't seem to get the angles like you have with the toes for example..
do you think its something you learn more from practice rather than it being just the software?   
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:01 am

@retrodude
Funny thing about the sprites was when i first started, he was originally done completely in vectors in Flash.

This is what he originally looked like.

I eventually thought it was too simple looking and took each piece and painted them in Photoshop, I think painting the pieces didn't take very long actually, I think around a day.
I just learned my skills on my own, I didn't get any special training/ schooling. I just practiced a lot during high school and my short time in college, I Did some co-op at a game publishing company and I learned a few tricks from an Illustrator over there. LoL I don't think there is a name for the art style this is just what comes out of my hand naturally.

I haven't heard of spriter until a few days ago, I haven't ever used it before. It seems neat I may tinker with it to see if I can pull off anything interesting.elitezore2013-04-11 07:11:30
B
S

Post » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:09 am

@mineet
Yes the bone system is in the program, it's definitely in the latest version of flash not so sure about older ones.

"would you say flash is the best to use for animations?"

I think it depends on what you are aiming for, I'm not doing full blown hand drawn frame by frame animations so something like adobe flash helps make things easier. I have tried only a few pieces of software for animation I think I only stuck to flash because I know it so well and it can do aloooot more then people think.

I learned a lot of animation tricks from co-workers at a studio I used to work at. Its definitely practice and something you need to build upon slowly. software alone won't do all the work.elitezore2013-04-11 07:12:02
B
S

Post » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:27 am

@elitezore
hi thank you for the quick reply its very helpful and inspiring to know your basically self taught. I'm really new to animating and have a tendency to draw in so much detail its then hard to animate..
Your work is amazing,, I took a visit to your site as well..   
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:51 am

After a lot of thought I have decided to make a major change in the core game play. The game may not end up being a traditional platformer, there is now depth to the levels I have put up an example below.

Level Depth

I didn't think I would end up having physics after making this major change to the game, but as you can see in the video I managed to pull off a trick to get it working with 8 directional movement.

I think its going to be for the better, the depth allows for better combat giving you more room to fight and during co-op play.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Creations